Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Association of managed care market share and health expenditures for fee-for-service Medicare patients.JAMA. 1999; 281: 432-437
- Health status, staffing, and Medicaid reimbursement in nursing homes: 1985 to 1995.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2000; 1: 253-257
- Medical practice with nursing home residents: Results from the National Physician Professional Activities census.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 911-917
- Factors affecting physician participation in nursing home care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 1000-1003
US Government Printing Office via GPO Access. 42CFR483.40(d). Available at: www.cms.hhs.gov/SurveyCertificationGaInfo/downloads/SCLetter03-18.pdf. Accessed March 13, 2007.
- Predictors of physician nursing home practice: Does what we do in residency training make a difference?.Fam Med. 2000; 32: 551-555
National Mortality Followback Survey, 1993. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, Public Use Data File Documentation; 1998.
- Physician staffing patterns correlates of nursing home care: Initial inquiry and consideration of policy implications.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994; 42: 787-793
National Council of State Boards of Nursing. Nursing regulation. Available at: www.thepapage.com/articles0brochures/NursingHome_PAs.pdf. Accessed March 13, 2007.
- Nurse practitioners and physicians: A collaborative practice.Clin Nurse Spec. 1999; 13: 252-258
- Will nurse practitioners replace physicians as attendings in long-term care?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2001; 2: 222-224
- The employment of nurse practitioners and physician assistants in US nursing homes.Gerontologist. 2005; 45: 486-495
- How EverCare nurse practitioners spend their time.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1530-1534
- Evaluation of the Evercare Demonstration Program: Final report.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), formerly HCFA, Washington, DC2002 (May 2. Report No.: HCFA Contract No. 500–96–0008 Task Order #2)
- Academics and the nursing home.Clin Geriatr Med. 1995; 11: 503-516
- Primary care of long-stay nursing home residents: Approaches of three health maintenance organizations.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 131-138
- Use of primary care teams by HMOs for care of long stay nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 139-144
- Efforts to improve primary care delivery to nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 627-632
- Alternative models of ensuring access to primary medical care in nursing facilities Demonstration Project.Bureau of Health Economics, NYS Department of Health, New York1996 (Apr 9. Report No.: RWJ Grant #20039)
- The effect of Evercare on hospital use.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 1427-1434
- Do nursing home residents use high levels of general practice services?.Br J Gen Pract. 1999; 49: 645-646
- Do nursing home residents make greater demands on GPs?.Br J Gen Pract. 1999; 49: 527-530
- Analysis of a general practitioner’s work in a private nursing home for the elderly.J R Coll Gen Pract. 1988; 38: 546-548
- The role of the geriatrician in managed care: Opportunities and responsibilities.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 605-610
- Hospitalists in the United States—mission accomplished or work in progress?.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1935-1936
- Residents of private nursing homes and their care.Br J Gen Pract. 1992; 42: 477-481
- Nursing home and nursing home physician: The Dutch experience.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2004; 5: 207-212
- Physicians and nursing home care.J Natl Med Assoc. 1998; 90: 349-352
- Training Physicians to Care for Older Americans: Progress, Obstacles, and Future Directions.Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC1994
American Board of Internal Medicine. Number of Candidates Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. http://www.abim.org/shared/pdf_statistics/Number_Certified_per_Decade.pdf. Accessed March 13, 2007.
- Residency education in the nursing home: A national survey of internal medicine and family practice programs.J Gen Intern Med. 1992; 7: 52-56
- Preparedness for practice: Young physicians’ views of their professional education.JAMA. 1993; 270: 1035-1039
- Program Requirements for Residency Education in Family Medicine.2006 (Jul. http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/140_im_07012007.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2007)
- Program Requirements for Residency Education in Internal Medicine.2003 (Jul. http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/140_im_07012007.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2007)
American Geriatrics Society & Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs. Fellowship Position Paper, May 2006. Available at: http://www.americangeriatrics.org/education/. Accessed March 13, 2007.
- The training of geriatricians in the United States: Three decades of progress.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: S338-S345
ABIM Recognizes Geriatrics as a Subspecialty of Internal Medicine. The American Geriatrics Society 2007. Available at: http://www.americangeriatrics.org/education/ABIM_subspecialty.shtml. Accessed March 9, 2007.
ABIM Recognizes Added Qualifications as Subspecialties of Internal Medicine. American Board of Internal Medicine 2007. Available at: http://www.abim.org/pressroom/news/06_07_14_added_q.shtm. Accessed March 9, 2007.
Certified Medical Director in Long Term Care (AMDA CMD) Program. American Medical Directors Association 2007. Available at: http://www.amda.com/certification/overview.cfm. Accessed March 9, 2007.
- Medical Care of the Nursing Home Resident: What Physicians Need to Know.American College of Physicians, Philadelphia1996
- Medical Care in the Nursing Home.2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York1997
American Medical Directors Association. Q & A: Is there an AMDA guideline for the percentage of patients which a Medical Director of a Skilled Nursing Facility should have as his/her own personal patients? Available at: http://www.amda.com/consumers/MedicalDirector.cfm. Accessed August 2, 2007.
- About AMDA members.2003 (http://www.amda.com/about/memberprofile.cfm. Accessed August 9, 2007)
- Office of Inspector General.Nursing home medical directors survey. 2003 (http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-99-00300.pdf. Accessed August 9, 2007)
- Nursing home medical directors: Ideals and realities.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 127-130
- Long-term care reimbursement issues.Clin Geriatr Med. 1995; 11: 517-529
- AMDA News Room.AMDA averts steep pay cuts—2004 rates for nursing home codes to remain at 2003 levels. 2003 (Available at: http://www.amda.com/governance/chapters/statenews/august2003/medicare.cfm. Accessed August 9, 2007)
- A report card on academic geriatrics in 1991: The struggle for academic respectability.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 229-230
- Translating nursing home research into practice: How and for whom?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 1595-1596
- Should you see nursing home patients?.Med Econ. 2005; 82: 69-73
Besdine RW. Letter to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Available at: http://www.americangeriatrics.org/news/letters_dept.shtml. Accessed August 7, 2007.
Lett JE. American Medical Directors Association Web site. Available at: http://www.amda.com/news/othernews/2004/071504_liability.cfm. Accessed August 8, 2007.
- Effects of state Medicaid reimbursement rates on hospitalizations from nursing homes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 393-398
US Government Printing Office via GPO Access. 42CFR483.10(b)(11). Available at: http://www.gpo.gov/. Accessed August 9, 2007.
US Government Printing Office via GPO Access. 42CFR483.40. Available at: http://www.gpo.gov/. Accessed August 9, 2007.
- Geriatric medicine training and practice in the United States at the beginning of the 21st century.Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs and the Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research, New York2002
- Improving communication among attending physicians, long-term care facilities, residents, and residents’ families.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2004; 5: 114-122
- Calls to Providers: State and Federal Regulations Pertaining to Resident Status.2005 (June 5, Available at: http://www.health.state.mn.us. Accessed June 17, 2007)
Protocols for Physician Notification. Assessing Patients and Collecting Data on Nursing Facility Patients. A Guide for Nurses on Effective Communication with Physicians. Available at: http://www.amda.com/resources/print.cfm. Accessed August 9, 2007.
- Liability issues’ impact on practice: A physician survey.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 288-289
- The rise of nursing home litigation: Findings from a national survey of attorneys.Health Affairs. 2003; 22: 219-229
- Professional liability in long-term care: The pressure mounts.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 426-428
- Nursing home liability crisis.Caring for the Ages. 2003; 4
- Physician and nurse staffing in nursing homes: The role and limitations of the Online Survey Certification and Reporting (OSCAR) system.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 27-33
- Physician practice in the nursing home: Missing in action or misunderstood [comment].J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1826-1828
- The nursing home physician workforce.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7: 394-397
- Objective and subjective measures of the quality of managed care in nursing homes.Med Care. 1999; 37: 375-383
- Hazards of hospitalization of the elderly.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 219-223
- Nursing homes as acute care providers: A pilot study of incentives to reduce hospitalizations.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1988; 36: 124-129
- Impact of geriatric nurse practitioners on nursing home residents’ functional status, satisfaction, and discharge outcomes.Med Care. 1990; 28: 271-283
- Geriatric nurse practitioners as nursing home employees: Implementing the role.Gerontologist. 1988; 28: 469-477
- Effects of a geriatric nurse practitioner on process and outcome of nursing home care.Am J Public Health. 1989; 79: 1271-1277
- The role of gerontological advanced practice nurses in geriatric care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995; 43: 1061-1064
- The effect of a physician assistant on the hospitalization of nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: 610-614
- Pattern of prescriptions issued by nursing home-based physicians versus office-based physicians for frail elderly patients in German nursing homes.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2003; 12: 595-599
- Health care utilization by old-old long-term care facility residents: How do Medicare fee-for-service and capitation rates compare?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 1330-1336
- Quality of care in teaching nursing homes: Findings and implications.Health Care Financ Rev. 1995; 16: 55-83
- Factors contributing to the hospitalization of nursing home residents.Gerontologist. 1989; 29: 502-510
- Information exchange between general practitioner and nursing home physician in the Netherlands.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 219-225
- Physicians “missing in action”: Family perspectives on physician and staffing problems in end-of-life care in the nursing home.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1651-1657
- Health and functional outcomes and health care utilization of persons with dementia in residential care and assisted living facilities: Comparison with nursing homes.Gerontologist. 2005; 45 (Spec No. 1): 124-132