Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: A cross-sectional study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 37-43
- Adapting clinical guidelines to take account of multimorbidity.BMJ. 2012; 345: e6341
- Recent patterns of medication use in the ambulatory adult population of the United States: The Slone survey.JAMA. 2002; 287: 337-344
- High prevalence of poor quality drug prescribing in older individuals: A nationwide report from the Italian Medicines Agency (AIFA).J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 430-437
- Polypharmacy among adults aged 65 years and older in the United States: 1988–2010.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 989-995
- The PREDICT (increasing the participation of the elderly in clinical trials) study: The charter and beyond.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2014; 7: 457-468
- Guidelines, polypharmacy, and drug-drug interactions in patients with multimorbidity.BMJ. 2015; 350: h1059
- Predictors of rehospitalization among elderly patients admitted to a rehabilitation hospital: The role of polypharmacy, functional status, and length of stay.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 761-767
- GPs' perspectives on the management of patients with multimorbidity: Systematic review and synthesis of qualitative research.BMJ Open. 2013; 3: e003610
- Adherence to statin treatment and health outcomes in an Italian cohort of newly treated patients: Results from an administrative database analysis.Clin Ther. 2012; 34: 190-199
- National Observatory on Medication Use. Medication use in Italy. National Report 2013 [In Italian].Italian Medicines Agency, Rome2014 (Available at:)Accessed January 10, 2015)
- Prescription drug use among older adults in Italy: A country-wide perspective.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 531.e11-531.e15
World Health Organization. Introduction to Drug Utilization Research. Oslo, Norway, 2003. Available at: http://www.whocc.no/use_of_atc_ddd/. Accessed January 10, 2015.
- Primary care clinicians' experiences with treatment decision making for older persons with multiple conditions.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 75-80
- Lag time to benefit for preventive therapies.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1567
- Polypharmacy and mortality among nursing home residents with advanced cognitive impairment: Results from the SHELTER study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 450.e7-450.e12
- Inappropriate drug prescribing and polypharmacy are major causes of poor outcomes in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 780-782
- Development and validation of a score to assess risk of adverse drug reactions among in-hospital patients 65 years or older: The GerontoNet ADR risk score.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1142-1148
- Underprescription of beneficial medicines in older people: Causes, consequences and prevention.Drugs Aging. 2012; 29: 463-475
- Gender differences in drug responses.Pharmacol Res. 2007; 55: 81-95
- A systematic review of the prevalence and risk factors for adverse drug reactions in the elderly in the acute care setting.Clin Interv Aging. 2014; 9: 2079-2086
- Do men and women follow different trajectories to reach extreme longevity? Italian Multicenter Study on Centenarians (IMUSCE).Aging (Milano). 2000; 12: 77-84
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
This work arises from the Joint Action on Chronic Diseases and Promoting Healthy Ageing across the Life Cycle (JA-CHRODIS), which has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Health Program (2008–2013). Sole responsibility lies with the author and the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.