Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Preventing falls and fall related injuries in hospitals.Clin Geriatr Med. 2010; 26: 645-692
- Slips, trips and falls data update.NPSA, London2010 (Available at:)Accessed July 5, 2013)
- Interventions for preventing falls in older people in nursing care facilities and hospitals.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD005465
- Inpatient fall prevention programmes as a patient safety strategy.Ann Int Med. 2013; 158: 390-396
- Safety and quality improvement guide standard 10: Preventing falls and harm from falls.ACSQHC, Sydney2012 (Available at:)Accessed December 12, 2012)
- Is it possible to identify risks for injurious falls in hospitalised patients?.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2012; 38: 408-413
- Fall rates in hospital rehabilitation units after individualised patient and staff education programmes: A pragmatic, stepped-wedge, cluster-randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 2592-2599
- Reducing harms from falls.NZ Med J. 2016; 129: 1446
- 6-PACK programme to decrease fall injuries in acute hospitals: Cluster randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2016; 352: h6781
- Cluster randomised trial of a targeted multifactorial intervention to prevent falls among older people in hospital.BMJ. 2008; 336: 758-760
- Hip protectors for preventing hip fractures in older people.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD001255
- Flooring as an intervention to reduce injuries from falls in healthcare settings: An overview.Qual Ageing. 2007; 8: 1
- Preventing fall injuries among elderly by shock absorbing floor.Inj Prevention. 2012; 18: A20
- Dual-stiffness flooring: Can it reduce fracture rates associated with falls?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 303-305
- Pilot cluster randomised controlled trial of flooring to reduce injuries from falls in wards for older people.Age Ageing. 2013; 42: 633-640
- Pilot cluster randomised controlled trial of flooring to reduce injuries from falls in elderly care units: study protocol.Inj Prev. 2011; 17: e7
- Investigating the fall-injury reducing effect of impact absorbing flooring among female nursing home residents: initial results.Inj Prev. 2015; 21: 320-324
- Cost–utility analysis of a shock-absorbing floor intervention to prevent injuries from falls in hospital wards for older people.Age Ageing. 2013; 42: 641-645
- Modelling the cost-effectiveness of impact-absorbing flooring in Swedish residential care facilities.Eur J Public Health. 2016; 26: 407-411
Hanger HC, Hurley K, Hurring S, White A. Low impact flooring: Is it practical in a hospital? Australian and New Zealand Falls Prevention Society Sydney November 2014.
- Predictors of discharge stability in the first year following hospital admission for a frail elderly population.Int Med J. 2009; 39: 170-173
- The initial health-system response to the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, in February, 2011.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2109-2115
- Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: The prevention of falls network Europe consensus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1618-1622
- An analysis of falls in the hospital: Can we do without bedrails?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 529-531
- Classification of falls in stroke rehabilitation—not all falls are the same.Clin Rehabil. 2014; 28: 183-195
- A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people.CMAJ. 2005; 173: 489-495
- Definitions and methods of measuring and reporting on injurious falls in randomised controlled fall prevention trials: A systematic review.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012; 12: 50
- Fall and fracture rates following a change from carpet to vinyl floor coverings in a geriatric rehabilitation hospital. A longitudinal, observational study.Clin Rehabil. 2012; 27: 258-263
- Pilot study to assess mobility safety on a dual-stiffness floor.Can J Geriatr. 2008; 11: 110-112
- Novel safety floors do not influence early compensatory balance reactions in older adults.Gait Posture. 2014; 40: 160-165
- Energy absorption during impact on the proximal femur is affected by body mass index and flooring surface.J Biomech. 2014; 47: 2391-2397
- Interventions for preventing falls in older people in care facilities and hospitals.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; : CD005465
The author declares no conflicts of interest.
Low-impact flooring was provided and installed by Acma Industries Limited (Kradal), Jacobsens Creative Surfaces Limited (Tarkett Omnisport Excell), and Inzide Commercial Limited (SmartCells). These 3 companies had no other involvement in the study.