Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, MDS Active Resident Information Report: Third Quarter 2007, Avalaible at: http://www4.cms.hhs.gov/MDSPubQIandResRep/04_activeresreport.asp?isSubmitted=res3&var=I1a&date=24. Accessed August 8, 2008.
- Update on diabetes in the elderly and the application of current therapeutics.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 489-492
- Differences in diabetes management of nursing home patients based on functional and cognitive status.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 375-382
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes—2008.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 12-54
- Guidelines for improving the care of the older person with diabetes mellitus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: S265-S280
- Diabetes management in the long-term care setting: Clinical practice guideline.AMDA, Columbia, MD2008
- Translation of the diabetes nutrition recommendation for health care institutions.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: S55-S57
- Variability in glycosylated hemoglobin values in diabetic patients living in long-term care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 511-514
- The application of evidence-based principles of care in older persons (issue 3): Management of diabetes mellitus.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 3: 234-240
- Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes: A position statement of the American Diabetes Association.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: S61-S78
- The prevalence and persistence of sliding scale insulin use among newly admitted elderly nursing home residents with diabetes mellitus.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 663-669
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases in people with diabetes mellitus: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.Circulation. 2007; 115: 114-126
- Metformin: Effective and safe in renal disease?.Int Urol Nephrol. 2008; 40: 411-417
- Introducing estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) into clinical practice in the UK: Implications for the use of metformin.Diabet Med. 2007; 24: 494-497
Gold Standard, Inc. Metformin. Clinical Pharmacology [database online]. Available at: http://www.clinicalpharmacology.com. Accessed August 18, 2008.
- Establishing pragmatic estimated GFR thresholds to guide metformin prescribing.Diabet Med. 2007 Oct; 24: 1160-1163
Food and Drug Administration. Glucophage/Glucophage XR. Available at: www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2000/21202lbl.pdf. Accessed January 28, 2009.
- Diabetes-related morbidity and mortality in a national sample of US elders.Diabetes Care. 2002; 24: 471-475
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. MDS Active Resident Information Report: Third Quarter 2007. Available at: http://www4.cms.hhs.gov/MDSPubQIandResRep/04_activeresreport.asp?isSubmitted=res3&var=J1e&date=20. Accessed August 18, 2008.
- Hypoglycemia in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: Physiology, pathophysiology, and management.Clinical Diabetes. 2006; 24: 115-121
- Managing urinary tract infections in the nursing home: Myths, mysteries, and realities.The Internet Journal of Geriatrics and Gerontology. 2004; 1
- The accuracy of minimum data set diagnoses in describing recent hospitalization at acute care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7: 212-218
- Co-morbidity and functional limitation in older patients under reported in medical records in Nordic acute care hospitals when compared with the MDS-AC instrument.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 433-437
- Prevalence of behavioral symptoms: Comparison of the minimum data set assessments with research instruments.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 244-250
- Development of a protocol for capillary blood glucose testing in nursing home and rehabilitation settings.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 1114-1118
- The effect of interventions to prevent cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Am J Med. 2001; 11: 633-642
- What is the proper use of hemoglobin a1c monitoring in the elderly?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 200-204
- Relationships between hyperglycemia and cognitive performance among adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 71-77
- Optimizing insulin use in type 2 diabetes: Role of basal and prandial insulin in long-term care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 502-510
- Diabetes care in extended-care facilities: Appropriate intensity of care?.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1454-1458
- Clinical characteristics of severe hypoglycemia—a prospective population-based study.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2003; 111: 364-369
- Drug-induced hypoglycemic coma in 102 diabetic patients.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 281-284
- Hypoglycaemia in type 2 diabetes.Diabet Med. 2008; 25: 245-254
- Diabetes and the risk of acute urinary tract infection among postmenopausal women.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1778-1783
- Urinary tract infections in the elderly: A survey of physicians and nurses.Geriatr Nurs. 2005; 26: 245-251
The study was supported by funding from Novo Nordisk and the authors had full independence.