Design and Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Rethinking the role of tube feeding in patients with advanced dementia.N Eng J Med. 2000; 342: 206-210
National Institutes of Health. Improving End-of-Life Care. NIH Consens State Sci Statements. 2004 Dec 6–8; 21:1–28.
- Nursing facility compliance with do-not-hospitalize orders.Gerontologist. 2004; 44: 159-165
- Patient age and decisions to withhold life-sustaining treatments from seriously ill, hospitalized adults. SUPPORT Investigators. Study to Understand Prognoses and Preferences for Outcomes and Risks of Treatment.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 116-125
- Decisions to hospitalize nursing home residents dying with advanced dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1396-1401
- Do-not-resuscitate and do-not-hospitalize directives of persons admitted to skilled nursing facilities under the Medicare benefit.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 2060-2068
- Predictors of do not resuscitate orders in the nursing home.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 18-21
- Advance directives in nursing home residents aged > or = 65 years: United States 2004.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2008; 25: 476-482
- Rethinking the ethical framework for surrogate decision making: A qualitative study of physicians.J Clin Ethics. 2008; 19: 110-119
- Physician reluctance to discuss advance directives. An empiric investigation of potential barriers.Arch Intern Med. 1994; 154: 2311-2318
- Changes in advance care planning in nursing homes before and after the patient Self-Determination Act: Report of a 10-state survey.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 939-944
- Do not hospitalize orders in nursing homes: A pilot study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2005; 6: 22-26
- Advance care planning documents in nursing facilities: Results from a nationally representative survey.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2006; 43: 193-212
- Demography and epidemiology of dying in the US with emphasis on deaths of older persons.Hosp J. 1998; 13: 49-60
- How good is assisted living? Findings and implications from an outcomes study.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2005; 60: S195-S204
- Advance care planning in nursing homes and assisted living communities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 243-251
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities as places for dying.Ann Rev Nurs Res. 2002; 20: 231-264
- Assisted living and nursing homes: apples and oranges?.Gerontologist. 2003; 43: 107-117
- Overview of the collaborative studies of long-term care.in: Zimmerman S. Sloane P. Eckert J. Assisted Living: Needs, Practices and Policies in Residential Care for the Elderly. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore2001 (117–143)
- A prospective study of advance directives for life-sustaining care.N Eng J Med. 1991; 324: 882-888
- Communication between physicians and family caregivers about care at the end-of-life: When do discussions occur and what is said?.J Palliat Med. 2005; 8: 1176-1185
- Advance care planning and end-of-life care for hospitalized nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 829-835
- A prospective study of patient-physician communication about resuscitation.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: S52-S60
- Family response to end-of-life education: Differences by ethnicity and stage of caregiving.Am J Hospice Pall Care. 2006; 23: 269-276
- Advance directives at end-of-life: Nursing home resident preferences for artificial nutrition.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 224-228
- Projection in surrogate decisions about life-sustaining medical treatment.Health Psych. 2001; 20: 166-175
- The accuracy of surrogate decision makers: A systematic review.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 493-497
POLST in your state. 2008. Available at: www.POLST.org. Accessed June 26, 2009.
This work was supported by grants R01 AG18967, K02 AG00970, and K23 AG001030 from the National Institute on Aging. H.B. was supported by a National Research Service Award Primary Care Research grant (T32 HP-14001–19) from the Health Resources and Services Administration as well as the Duke University Geriatrics Fellowship program. The authors have no other relevant financial disclosures to report.