Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS) [online]. 2006. Available at: www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars. Accessed January 15, 2007.
- Gait variability and fall risk in community-living older adults: A 1–year prospective study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 1050-1056
- Preventing falls among community-dwelling older persons: Results from a randomized trial.Gerontologist. 1994; 34: 16-23
- The cost and frequency of hospitalization for fall-related injuries in older adults.Am J Public Health. 1992; 82: 1020-1023
- Geriatric falls: Injury severity is high and disproportionate to mechanism.J Trauma. 2001; 50: 116-119
- A multivariate fall risk assessment model for VHA nursing homes using the minimum data set.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 115-122
US Bureau of the Census. Population Projections Program, Population Division, Washington, D.C. 2004. Available at: www.census.gov/population/www/projections/popproj.html. Accessed July 7, 2009.
- Hip fracture outcomes: Quality of life and functional status in older adults living in the community.Aust N Z J Med. 2000; 30: 327-332
- Falls and fractures.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 276-278
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures.Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 1726-1733
- Impact near the hip dominates fracture risk in elderly nursing home residents who fall.Calcif Tissue Int. 1993; 52: 192-198
- Fracture mechanisms and fracture pattern in men and women aged 50 years and older: A study of a 12-year population-based injury register.Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 1267-1273
- Excess mortality following hip fracture: A systematic epidemiological review.Osteoporos Int. 2009; (May 7 [Epub ahead of print].)
- To treat or not to treat, that is the question: Proceedings of the Quebec symposium for the treatment of osteoporosis in long-term care institutions, Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, November 5, 2004.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: e67-e73
- The application of evidence-based principles of care in older persons (issue 1): Management of osteoporosis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: e51-e57
- VHA enrollees' health care coverage and use of care.Med Care Res Rev. 2003; 60: 253-267
- Veterans' access to and use of Medicare and Veterans Affairs health care.Med Care. 2007; 45: 214-223
- Risk-adjusted mortality rates of elderly veterans with hip fractures.Ann Epidemiol. 2007; 17: 514-519
VA Information Resource Center (VIReC). Available at: http://www.virec.research.va.gov/. Accessed May 4, 2009.
- Benzodiazepines and injury: A risk adjusted model.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2005; 14: 17-24
- Effect of concomitant use of benzodiazepines and other drugs on the risk of injury in a veterans population.Drug Saf. 2005; 28: 1141-1150
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Comorbidity Software. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/comorbidity/comorbidity.jsp#overview. Accessed July 15, 2009.
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Long-stay nursing home residents' hospitalizations in the VHA: The potential impact of aligning financial incentives on hospitalizations.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 499-503
- A national perspective of Medicare expenditures for elderly veterans with hip fractures.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 114-119
The authors have no conflicts of interest pertaining to this article.