Given the inevitability and importance of death, it may seem obvious that we, as individuals and societies, should all be planning for it. However, a laissez-faire approach is all too common. If this approach made no difference, or improved the outcome, such blithe nonchalance could be justified. But the end result is, all too often, death in an institutional setting.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Influence of patient preferences and local health system characteristics on the place of death.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: 1242-1250
- Home care in the last year of life: Family members' perceptions of unmet need associated with last place of care.J Am Med Direct Assoc. 2010; 11: 21-25
- Medicare home health care services.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 324-329
- Long-term care in the United States: An overview.Health Aff. 2000; 19: 40-56
- Nursing home experience with hospice.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2002; 3: 46-50
- Causes of death in elderly nursing home residents.J Am Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 565-567
- Educating nursing home staff about the progression of dementia and the comfort care option: Impact on family satisfaction with end-of-life care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 50-55
- Advance care planning and hospital in the nursing home.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 581-585
- Impact of a home-based primary care program in an urban Veterans Affairs Medical Center.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 133-137
- Post acute care: Can hospitals do better with less?.Australian Health Review. 1997; 20: 43-54
Published online: November 26, 2009
© 2010 American Medical Directors Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.