Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Hospital Inpatient Statistics 1996–1999.Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Rockville, MD1999 (AHCPR Publication 99–0034)
- Changes in functional status attributable to hip fracture: A comparison of hip fracture patents to community-dwelling aged.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 157: 1023-1031
- Excess mortality attributable to hip fracture in white women aged 70 years and older.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 1630-1636
- The prevalence of osteoporosis in nursing home residents.Osteoporos Int. 1999; 9: 151-157
- The incidence of hip fractures in independent and institutionalized elderly people.Osteoporos Int. 1994; 4: 6-10
- High rate of fractures for men in nursing homes.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1989; 68: 205
- Hip protectors for preventing hip fractures in older people.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 3 (CD001255)
- Efficacy of a hip protector to prevent hip fracture in nursing home residents.JAMA. 2007; 298: 413-422
- Factors associated with hip protector adherence among older people in residential care.Injury Prevention. 2008; 14: 24-29
- Acceptance and compliance with external hip protectors: A system review of the literature.Osteoporosis Int. 2002; 13: 917-924
- Prevention of hip fractures in the elderly: Receptivity to protective garments.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 1995; 21: 179-189
- External hip protectors: Likely non-compliance among high risk elderly people living in the community.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 1994; 19: 273-281
- Predictors of adherence with the recommended use of hip protectors.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2004; 59: 958-961
- Predictors of adherence to the use of hip protectors in nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 340-345
- Effect of external hip protectors on hip fractures.Lancet. 1993; 34: 11-13
- The effect of type of hip protector and resident characteristics on adherence to use of hip protectors in nursing and residential homes—an exploratory study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2005; 42: 387-397
- Hip protector compliance: A 13-month study on factors and cost in a long-term care facility.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2003; 4: 245-250
- Can hip protector use in the nursing home be predicted?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 350-356
Statehealthfacts.org. United States: Total Number of Certified Nursing Facilities, 2006. Available at: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?ind=411&cat=8&rgn=1. Accessed July 12, 2008.
Statehealthfacts.org. United States: Certified Nursing Facility Beds, 2006. Available at: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?ind=413&cat=8&rgn=1. Accessed July 12, 2008.
Statehealthfacts.org. United States: Total Number of Residents in Certified Nursing Facilities, 2006. Available at: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?rgn=1&cat=8&ind=408. Accessed July 12, 2008.
- Nursing home characteristics related to Medicare costs for residents with and without dementia.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2008; 1: 57-65
- Nursing home facility risk factors for infection and hospitalization: importance of registered nurse turnover, administration, and social factors.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 1987-1995
- The hip impact protection project: design and methods.Clinical Trials. 2008; 5: 347-355
- The therapeutic environment screening survey for nursing homes (TESS-NH): An observational instrument for assessing the physical environment of institutional settings for persons with dementia.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2002; 57: 69-78
- Alzheimer's disease: A correlational analysis of the Blessed Information-Memory-Concentration Test and the Mini-Mental State Exam.Neurology. 1986; 36: 262-264
- Validation of a measure of fear of falling for nursing home residents.Gerontologist. 2002; 421: 171
- Obesity and cardiovascular risk factors in black and white girls: The NHLBI growth and health study.Am J Public Health. 1992; 82: 1613-1620
- Random-effects models for longitudinal data.Biometrics. 1982; 38: 963-974
- Driven to tiers: Socioeconomic and racial disparities in the quality of nursing home care.Milbank Q. 2004; 82: 227-256
- Educating nursing home staff on fracture prevention: A cluster randomized trial.Age Ageing. 2008; 37: 167-172
- Fall and injury prevention in older people living in residential care facilities. A cluster randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 733-741
- Dementia care and quality of life in assisted living and nursing homes.Gerontologist. 2005; 45: 133-146
- Quality of care in the nursing home: Effects of staff assignment and work shift.Gerontologist. 2004; 44: 368-377
- Staying the course: Facility and professional retention among nursing assistants in nursing homes.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2008; 63: 113-121
- Expert nursing assistant care activities.West J Nurs Res. 1998; 20: 584-601
- The impact of ownership type on nursing home outcomes.Health Econ. 1998; 7: 639-653
Rhoades JA, Potter DE, Krauss NA. Characteristics of nursing homes in 1996. Abstr Book Assoc Health Serv Res Meet 1997;14:303–304. Available at: http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102233852.html. Accessed October 17, 2009.
- Effectiveness and acceptability of a newly designed hip protector: A pilot study.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2000; 30: 25-34
- Will elderly rest home residents wear hip protectors?.Age Ageing. 1998; 27: 195-198
Funded by National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Aging grant R01 AG018461 and supported in part by the Lawrence J. and Anne Cable Rubenstein Charitable Foundation.