To determine which determinants predict frailty and domains of frailty (physical, psychological, social) in a community-dwelling sample of elderly persons.
A representative sample of 484 community-dwelling persons aged 75 years and older.
The Tilburg Frailty Indicator (TFI), a self-report questionnaire, was used to collect information about determinants of frailty and to assess frailty and domains of frailty (physical, psychological, social).
Results were obtained by regression and mediation analyses. The 10 determinants explain about 35% of the variance of frailty. After controlling for other determinants, medium income, an unhealthy lifestyle, and multimorbidity predicted frailty. The effects of other determinants differed across domains of frailty; age predicted physical frailty, life events predicted psychological frailty, whereas being a woman predicted social frailty because older women have a higher probability of living alone.
Our finding that the effect of the determinants of frailty differs across frailty domains suggests that it is essential to divide the concept of frailty into domains.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- English translation of article published in ‘Gérontologie et société’. Developing a working framework for understanding frailty.Gérontologie et société. 2004; 109: 15-29
- Just what defines frailty?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 2229-2230
- Untangling the concepts of disability, frailty, and comorbidity: Implications for improved targeting and care.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2004; 59: 255-263
- Frailty: An emerging research and clinical paradigm—issues and controversies.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 731-737
- Models, definitions, and criteria of frailty.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2003; 15: 1-29
- Conceptualizations of frailty in relation to older adults.J Adv Nurs. 2003; 44: 58-68
- Ross Kerr JC. Factors contributing to frailty: Literature review.J Adv Nurs. 2006; 56: 282-291
- In search of an integral conceptual definition of frailty: Opinions of experts.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 338-343
- Frailty in older adults: Evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Transitions between frailty states among community-living older persons.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 418-423
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1328-1329
- Frailty in elderly people: An evolving concept.CMAJ. 1994; 150: 489-495
- Antecedents of frailty over three decades in an older cohort.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 1998; 53: S9-16
- Editorial: Something about frailty.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: M698-704
- Frailty: A public health perspective.Can J Public Health. 1995; 86: 224-227
- Instrumental activities of daily living as a potential marker of frailty: A study of 7364 community-dwelling elderly women (the EPIDOS study).J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M448-453
- Social determinants of frailty.Gerontology. 2005; 51: 402-408
- Frailty. Med Clin North Am. 2006; 90: 837-847
- Preventing frail health.Clin Geriatr Med. 1992; 8: 1-17
- Causes and consequences of comorbidity: A review.J Clin Epidemiol. 2001; 54: 661-674
- Towards an integral conceptual model of frailty.J Nutr Health Aging. 2010; 14: 175-181
- The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51: 1173-1182
- Clinical global impression of change in physical frailty: Development of a measure based on clinical judgment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1560-1566
- Frailty: Toward a clinical definition.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 71-72
- The I.A.N.A Task Force on frailty assessment of older people in clinical practice.J Nutr Health Aging. 2008; 12: 29-37
- Old or frail: What tells us more?.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2004; 59: M962-M965
- Validity and reliability of the Edmonton Frail Scale.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 526-529
- Operationalizing a frailty index from a standardized comprehensive geriatric assessment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1929-1933
- The Tilburg Frailty Indicator: Psychometric properties.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 344-355
- Physical and performance measures for the identification of mild to moderate frailty.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000; 55: M350-M355
- Unstable disability and the fluctuations of frailty.Age Ageing. 1997; 26: 315-318
- Frailty and injuries in later life: the FICSIT trials.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 283-296
- Sex differences in the risk of frailty for mortality independent of disability and chronic diseases.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 40-47
- A brief clinical instrument to classify frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 1999; 353: 205-206
- Screening for frailty: Criteria and predictors of outcomes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 778-784
- Falls and injuries in frail and vigorous community elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 46-52
- The prevalence and psychosocial characteristics of the frail elderly in Japan: A community-based study.Aging (Milano). 2001; 13: 443-453
- Psychosocial and behavioral dimensions of physical frailty.J Gerontol. 1993; 48: 39-43
- Successful aging: Predictors and associated activities.Am J Epidemiol. 1996; 144: 135-141
- Predicting discharge and long term outcome patterns for frail elders.Rehabil Psychol. 2003; 48: 37-43
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd edition. Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc Inc, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Frailty and the older man.Med Clin North Am. 1999; 83: 1173-1194
- Social vulnerability, frailty and mortality in elderly people.PLoS ONE. 2008; 3: e2232
- Explanations of socioeconomic differences in changes in physical function in older adults: results from the Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam.BMC Public Health. 2006; 6: 244
- A conceptual framework of frailty: A review.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: M283-288
- Evaluation of a self-report screening instrument to predict frailty outcomes in aging populations.Gerontologist. 1997; 37: 182-191
- The yield, reliability, and validity of a postal survey for screening community-dwelling older people.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 194-202
The authors have no conflicts of interest pertaining to this article.
© 2010 American Medical Directors Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.