Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Depression among institutionalized aged: Assessment and prevalence estimation.J Gerontol. 1989; 44: M22-M29
- Depression in nursing homes: Ensuring adequate treatment.CNS Drugs. 2007; 21: 627-640
- Depression in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 82-87
- Depression and mortality in nursing homes.JAMA. 1991; 265: 993-996
- The management of depression in older nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 69-76
- General and psychotherapeutic medication use in 328 nursing facilities: A year 2000 national survey.Consult Pharm. 2001; 16: 54-64
- Which organizational characteristics are associated with increased management of depression using antidepressants in US nursing homes?.Med Care. 2004; 42: 992-1000
- On-line Survey Certification and Reporting—1998–1999.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Arlington, VA2008
Health Resources and Services Administration. Area Resource File (ARF). Available at: http://arf.hrsa.gov/. Accessed December 9, 2009.
- Reducing antipsychotic drug prescribing for nursing home patients: A controlled trial of the effect of an educational visit.Am J Public Health. 1987; 77: 1448-1450
- A randomized trial of a program to reduce the use of psychoactive drugs in nursing homes.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 168-173
- Does organisational culture influence prescribing in care homes for older people? A new direction for research.Drugs Aging. 2007; 24: 81-93
- Psychotropic prescribing in long-term care facilities: Impact of medication reviews and educational interventions.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2008; 16: 621-632
- Resident characteristics and organizational factors influencing the quality of drug use in Swedish nursing homes.Soc Sci Med. 1998; 47: 961-971
- Determinants of antidepressant medication prescribing in elderly residents of aged care homes in Australia: A retrospective study.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2009; 7: 210-219
- Nursing home characteristics associated with antipsychotic prescribing.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2009; 7: 142-150
- Analysis of repeated categorical data using generalized estimating equations.Stat Med. 1994; 13: 1149-1163
- Diggle P.J. Heagerty P. Liang K. Zeger S. Analysis of Longitudinal Data. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York City, NY2002
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. MDS Active Resident Information Report: Third Quarter 2009. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MDSPubQIandResRep/04_activeresreport.asp?isSubmitted=res3&var=O4c&date=28. Accessed December 20, 2009.
- Assessment of the prescription of antidepressant drugs in elderly nursing home patients: A clinical and laboratory follow-up investigation.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008; 28: 424-431
- The critical role of clinical pharmacology in geriatric psychopharmacology.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 85: 89-93
- Changes in the state operations manual: Implications for consultant pharmacy practice.Consult Pharm. 2006; 21: 948-961
- Use of antidepressants in nursing home residents. A joint statement of the members of the Long Term Care Professional Leadership Council (LTCPLC).Consult Pharm. 2008; 23: 231-234
- Escitalopram for older adults with generalized anxiety disorder: A randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2009; 301: 295-303
- Nursing home staffing standards: Their relationship to nurse staffing levels.Gerontologist. 2006; 46: 74-80
- Impact of medical director certification on nursing home quality.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 431-435
The authors have indicated that they have no other conflicts of interest regarding the content of this article. This study was supported by National Institute of Aging grants (R01AG027017, P30AG024827, T32 AG021885, K07AG033174, R01AG034056), a National Institute of Mental Health grant (R34 MH082682), a National Institute of Nursing Research grant (R01 NR010135), an Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality grant (R01 HS017695), a VA Health Services Research grant (IIR-06–062), and a NIH Roadmap Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Career Development Award Grant (K12 RR023267).