The certainty of aging and death is a major concern of humans with a consequent endless search for methods to contract aging's effects and delay death as long as possible. Charlatans may take advantage of the wish of people to live longer, proposing miraculous, unproven, and profitable antiaging products. Conversely, key advances in the understanding of the mechanism(s) behind the biology of aging and the increase in human life expectancy during the 20th century worldwide, make it possible that postponing natural death may indeed be plausible. Prolongation of life expectancy with disability is an empty prize. Interventions that prolong not only life span but also health span involve lifestyle strategies, as well as diagnosis of diseases at an early stage and appropriate use of advanced medical care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ageing populations: The challenges ahead.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1196-1208
- Basic ADL disability and functional limitations rates among older Americans from 2000–2005: The end of the decline?.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009; 64: 1333-1336
- Forecasting the effects of obesity and smoking on US life expectancy.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2252-2260
- Converging pathways in lifespan regulation.Curr Biol. 2009; 19: R657-R666
- Evidence regarding the benefits of physical exercise.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 124-125
- Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: Meta-analysis.BMJ. 2008; 337: a1344
- Anti-aging medicine: Pitfalls and hopes.Aging Male. 2009; 12: 13-20
- Vitamin D redux.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 591-592
- Investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males: ISA, ISSAM, EAU, EAA and ASA recommendations.Eur J Endocrinol. 2008; 159: 507-514
- Antiaging, longevity and calorie restriction.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2010; 13: 40-45
- Weight loss in older persons: New therapeutic approaches.Curr Pharm Des. 2007; 13: 3637-3647
- Developing novel therapeutic approaches to frailty.Curr Pharm Des. 2009; 15: 3384-3395
- Autophagy fights disease through cellular self-digestion.Nature. 2008; 451: 1069-1075
- Modification of mesenchymal stem cells for cardiac regeneration.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2010; 10: 309-319
- Functional testing of a tissue-engineered vocal fold cover replacement.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010; 142: 438-440
- Mesenchymal stem cells: Innovative therapeutic tools for rheumatic diseases.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2009; 5: 392-399
- Psychosocial dimensions of exceptional longevity: A qualitative exploration of centenarians' experiences, personality, and life strategies.Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2009; 69: 101-118
- Validation of a novel successful aging construct.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 314-322
- Can successful aging and chronic illness coexist in the same individual? A multidimensional concept of successful aging.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 87-92
- Successful aging or aging successfully.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 85-86
- The magic of exercise.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 375-377
Published online: August 02, 2010
Dr. Dominguez has no conflict of interest. Dr. Morley acknowledges affiliations with Mattern Pharmaceuticals, Edunn Biotech, and Danone.
© 2010 American Medical Directors Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.