It was invigorating to read 2 articles in the March 2010 issue of the Journal pertinent to venous thromboembolism (VTE) in long-term care (LTC); one attempted to develop a risk stratification tool for VTE and immobility to assist clinicians in the care of residents in LTC,
1the second, an editorial, stated that although available research does not support specific pharmacological agents for patients at risk for VTE, this does not mean that risk reduction of any nature should not be used.
- Zarowitz B.J.
- Tangalos E.
- Lefkovitz A.
- et al.
Thrombotic risk and immobility in residents of long-term care facilities.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2001; 11: 211-221
2The editorial comments are appropriate, and perhaps it is time that more attention is paid to the entity of VTE prevention in LTC.
- Messinger-Rapport B.J.
Risk of venous thromboembolism in long-term care residents: What do we know now?.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 159-160
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Thrombotic risk and immobility in residents of long-term care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2001; 11: 211-221
- Risk of venous thromboembolism in long-term care residents: What do we know now?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 159-160
- The basis for improving long-term care. Part 4: Identifying meaningful improvement approaches (Segment 2).J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 161-170
- A call to action.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 157-158
- Preventing venous thromboembolism in long-term care residents: Cautious advice based on limited data.Clev Clin J Med. 2010; 77: 123-130
- Autopsy study of the elderly institutionalized patient. Review of 234 autopsies.Arch Intern Med. 1988; 148: 173-176
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th edition).Chest. 2008; 133: 381S-453S
- Prevention of thromboembolism in long-term care: Multicenter project to study practice patterns and implement clinical practice guidelines.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: B19
- Indications and contraindications for anti-thrombotic therapy to prevent venous thromboembolism: Observations in long-term care facilities based on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: B13
© 2010 American Medical Directors Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.