Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
United Nations Population Division. World Population Ageing, 2009. Available at: http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/WPA2009/WPA2009_WorkingPaper.pdf/. Accessed November 19, 2012.
- Residential care workers and residents: The New Zealand story.N Z Med J. 2005; 118: 1-11
- Coping with aging: International challenges.Health Aff. 2000; 19: 213-225
- Promoting thriving in nursing homes: The Eden Alternative.J Gerontol Nurs. 2002; 28: 7-13
- Nursing home residents' perceptions of relocation.J Clin Nurs. 1995; 4: 319-325
- The structure of social engagement among nursing home residents.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 1995; 50: P1-P8
- A troubling triangle. An exploration of loneliness, helplessness, and boredom of residents of a veterans home.J Psychosoc Nurs. 2000; 38: 36-43
- Loneliness and depression in independent living retirement communities: Risk and resilience factors.Aging Ment Health. 2004; 8: 475-485
- Prevalence and predictors of depression in populations of elderly: A review.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2006; 113: 372-387
- Prevalence and risk indicators of depression in elderly nursing home patients: The AGED study.J Affect Disord. 2004; 83: 135-142
- Prevalence of depression and depression recognition in nursing homes.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2001; 36: 613-620
- Older women’s response to residential relocation: Description of transition styles.Qual Health Res. 2003; 13: 20-36
- Changes in and factors related to loneliness in older men. The Zutphen Elderly Study.Age Ageing. 1999; 28: 491-495
- Comparison of depression in the community-dwelling and assisted-living elderly.J Clin Psychol. 1995; 51: 19-21
- Relationship of mortality rates to entrance to a home for the aged.Geriatrics. 1961; 76: 515-519
- Relocation stress syndrome: A comprehensive plan for long-term care admissions.Geriatr Nurs. 1995; 16: 108-112
- Nursing home institutionalization: A source of eustress or distress for the elderly?.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006; 21: 281-287
- Therapeutic use of companion pets for neurologically impaired patients.J Neurosurg Nurs. 1984; 16: 323-325
- Influence of companion animals on the physical and psychological health of older people: An analysis of a one-year longitudinal study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 323-329
- An exploration of the potential benefits of pet-facilitated therapy.J Clin Nurs. 2001; 8: 329-337
- A long-term study of elderly people in nursing homes with visiting and resident dogs.Appl Anim Behav Sci. 1996; 47: 137-148
- Psychosocial benefits of animal companionship.in: Fine A.H. Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy: Theoretical Foundations and Guidelines for Practice. 2nd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA2000: 59-78
- Human-animal interaction and successful aging.in: Fine A. Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy. 3rd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA2010: 283-299
- Dogs as catalysts for social interactions: Robustness of the effect.Br J Psychol. 2000; 91: 61-70
- Companion animals and human health: An overview.J R Soc Med. 1995; 88: 704-708
Wada K, Shibata T. Living with seal robots in a care house—evaluations of social and physiological influences. Paper presented at: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems; October 9–15, 2006; Beijing, China.
- Change in the concentration of salivary IgA by contact of elderly subjects with a pet robot.J Anal Bio-Sci. 2002; 25 (Japanese): 251-254
Wada K, Shibata T, Musha T, et al. Effects of robot therapy for demented patients evaluated by EEG. Paper presented at: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems; August 2–6, 2005; Edmonton, Canada.
- Robot therapy: A new approach for mental healthcare of the elderly—A mini-review.Gerontology. 2011; 57: 378-386
Wada K, Shibata T, Kawaguchi Y. Long-term robot therapy in a health service facility for the aged—A case study for 5 years. Paper presented at: IEEE 11th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics; June 23–26, 2009; Kyoto, Japan.
Wada K, Shibata T. Robot therapy in a care house—Change of relationship among the residents and seal robot during a 2-month long study. Paper presented at: IEEE 16th International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication; August 26–29, 2007; Jeju, Korea.
- Socially assistive robots in elderly care: A systematic review into effects and effectiveness.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 114-120
- Assistive social robots in elderly care: A review.Gerontechnology. 2009; 8: 94-103
- Animal-assisted therapy and loneliness in nursing homes: use of robotic versus living dogs.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 173-177
- Comparison of children's behavior toward Sony's robotic dog AIBO and a real dog: A pilot study.Anthrozoos. 2006; 21: 92-99
- Behavioural comparison of human–animal (dog) and human–robot (AIBO) interactions.Behavioural Processes. 2008; 73: 245-256
- UCLA Loneliness scale (Version 3): Reliability, validity and factor structure.J Pers Assess. 1996; 66: 20-40
- Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: A preliminary report.J Psychiatr Res. 1983; 17: 37-49
- The Geriatric Depression Scale: A review of its development and utility.Int Psychogeriatr. 1996; 8: 103-112
- Quality of life in Alzheimer's disease. Patient and caregiver reports.J Ment Health Ageing. 1999; 5: 21-32
- Assessing quality of life in older adults with cognitive impairment.Psychosom Med. 2002; 64: 510-519
- Analysing control trials with baseline and follow-up measures.BMJ. 2001; 323: 1123-1124
Shibata T, Tanie K. Influence of a priori knowledge in subjective interpretation and evaluation by short-term interaction with mental commit robot. Paper presented at: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems; October 31–November 5, 2000; Takamatsu, Japan.
- Maintenance and improvement of quality of life among elderly patients using a pet-type robot.Nippon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi. 2002; 39: 214-218
- Human-pet interaction and loneliness: A test of concepts from Roy's adaptation model.Nurs Sci Q. 1989; 2: 194-202
- The effects of group and individual animal-assisted therapy on loneliness in residents of long-term care facilities.Anthrozoos. 2005; 18: 396-408
- Quality of life among the elderly—State of mood and loneliness in two selected groups.Scand J Caring Sci. 1999; 13: 91-95
- Effects of social and personal resources on mortality in old age: The Longitudinal Ageing Study, Amsterdam.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 146: 510-519
Kidd CD, Taggart W, Turkle S. A sociable robot to encourage social interaction among the elderly. Paper presented at: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation; May 15–19, 2006; Orlando, FL.
Taggart W, Turkle S, Kidd CD. An interactive robot in a nursing home: Preliminary remarks. Paper presented at: Toward Social Mechanisms of Android Science; July 25–26, 2005; Stresa, Italy.
Wada K, Shibata T, Saito T, et al. Psychological and social effects of one year robot assisted activity on elderly people at a health service facility for the aged. Paper presented at: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation; April 18–22, 2005; Barcelona, Spain.
- Animal-assisted therapy enhances resident social interaction and initiation in long-term care facilities.Anthrozoos. 2000; 13: 213-224
No conflicts of interest. Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (Trial Number 12612000469819).