Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
World Health Organization and Alzheimer's Disease International. Dementia—a public health priority, 2012. World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int/mental_health/publications/dementia_report_2012/en. Accessed August 2, 2014.
- Forecasting the global burden of Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2007; 3: 186-191
- The projected effect of risk factor reduction on Alzheimer's disease prevalence.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 819-828
- Potential for primary prevention of Alzheimer's disease: An analysis of population-based data.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 788-794
- Physical activity and cognition in old age.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2006; 19: 190-193
- Physical activity and risk of neurodegenerative disease: A systematic review of prospective evidence.Psychol Med. 2009; 39: 3-11
- Effect of physical activity on cognitive function in older adults at risk for Alzheimer disease: A randomized trial.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1027-1037
- Physical activity and Alzheimer's disease: From prevention to therapeutic perspectives.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 390-405
- A 1-year randomized controlled trial comparing mind body exercise (Tai Chi) with stretching and toning exercise on cognitive function in older Chinese adults at risk of cognitive decline.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 568.e15-568.e20
- The Mental Activity and eXercise (MAX) trial: A randomized controlled trial to enhance cognitive function in older adults.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 797-804
- Physical activity and enhanced fitness to improve cognitive function in older people without known cognitive impairment.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; : CD005381
- Does physical activity prevent cognitive decline and dementia? A systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 510
- Physical exercise as a preventive or disease-modifying treatment of dementia and brain aging.Mayo Clin Proc. 2011; 86: 876-884
- Prevalence of dementia in Chinese elderly in Hong Kong.Neurology. 1998; 50: 1002-1009
- Classification of late-life leisure activities among elderly Chinese in Hong Kong.East Asian Arch Psychiatry. 2011; 21: 123-127
World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th revision, version for 2004. Available at: http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online2004/fr-icd.htm. Published October 29, 2004. Accessed August 2, 2014.
- Clinical dementia rating: A reliable and valid diagnostic and staging measure for dementia of the Alzheimer type.Int Psychogeriatr. 1997; 9: 173-176
- Prevalence of very mild and mild dementia in community-dwelling older Chinese people in Hong Kong.Int Psychogeriatr. 2008; 20: 135-148
American Heart Association. Recommendations for physical activity in adults. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/StartWalking/American-Heart-Association-Guidelines_UCM_307976_Article.jsp. Accessed January 18, 2015.
- Fitness effects on the cognitive function of older adults: A meta-analytic study.Psychol Sci. 2003; 14: 125-130
- Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 3017-3022
- Exercise counteracts declining hippocampal function in aging and Alzheimer's disease.Neurobiol Dis. 2013; 57: 47-55
- Randomized clinical trial of yoga-based intervention in residents from elderly homes: Effects of cognitive function.Indian J Psychiatry. 2013; 55: S357-S363
- An active and socially integrated lifestyle in late life might protect against dementia.Lancet Neurol. 2004; 3: 343-353
- Does active leisure protect cognition? Evidence from a national birth cohort.Soc Sci Med. 2003; 56: 785-792
Department of Health and Department of Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong. Population health survey 2003/2004. Available at: http://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/full_report_on_population_health_survey_2003_2004_tc_20051024.pdf. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Hypertension prevalence and blood pressure levels in 6 European countries, Canada, and the United States.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2362-2369
- Type 2 diabetes in East Asians: Similarities and differences with populations in Europe and the United States.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2013; 1281: 64-91
- Rapid health transition in China, 1990–2010: Findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1987-2015
- Dementia incidence and mortality in middle-income countries, and associations with indicators of cognitive reserve: A 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based cohort study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 50-58
- Epidemiology of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia in China, 1990–2010: A systematic review and analysis.Lancet. 2013; 381: 2016-2023
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
This study was funded by the Health and Health Services Research Fund of the Government of Hong Kong in 2011 (grant 09100071), which had no role in the design, execution, analysis, and interpretation of data, or writing of the study.