Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Frail institutionalized older persons: A comprehensive review on physical exercise, physical fitness, activities of daily living, and quality-of-life.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 90: 156-168
- How much exercise are older adults living in nursing homes doing in daily life? A cross-sectional study.J Sports Sci. 2015; 33: 116-124
Organization WH. Global recommendations on physical activity for health. 2010; Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599979_eng.pdf?ua=1. Accessed April 25, 2015.
- Physical activity in nursing homes—Barriers and facilitators: A cross-sectional study.J Aging Phys Act. 2012; 20: 421-441
- Physical activity and public health in older adults: Recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007; 39: 1435-1445
- A physical activity intervention to treat the frailty syndrome in older persons—Results from the LIFE-P Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015; 70: 216-222
- Moving against frailty: Does physical activity matter?.Biogerontology. 2010; 11: 537-545
- Physical activity, exercise, and sarcopenia— Future challenges.Wien Med Wochenschr. 2011; 161: 416-425
- Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials.J Hypertens. 2006; 24: 215-233
- Health benefits of physical activity in older patients: A review.Int J Clin Pract. 2009; 63: 303-320
- Effect of an exercise program on functional performance of institutionalized elderly.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2004; 41: 659-668
- Review of effects of physical activity on strength, balance, mobility and ADL performance in elderly subjects with dementia.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2010; 30: 392-402
- The effect of physical rehabilitation on activities of daily living in older residents of long-term care facilities: Systematic review with meta-analysis.Age Ageing. 2013; 42: 682-688
- Determinants of physical activity and exercise in healthy older adults: A systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 142
- Psychology of Physical Activity: Determinants, Well-being, and Interventions.Routledge, New York, NY2015
- Motivators and barriers for physical activity in the oldest old: A systematic review.Ageing Res Rev. 2011; 10: 464-474
- Participation in physical activity: Influences reported by seniors in the community and in long-term care facilities.J Gerontol Nurs. 2008; 34: 36-43
- Perceived barriers to physical activity among older adults residing in long-term care institutions.J Clin Nurs. 2010; 19: 432-439
- Barriers to physical activity and restorative care for residents in long-term care: A review of the literature.J Aging Phys Act. 2014; 22: 154-165
- Factors influencing the physical activity of older adults in long-term care: Administrators perspectives.J Aging Phys Act. 2009; 17: 181-195
- An ecological perspective on health promotion programs.Health Educ Q. 1988; 15: 351-377
- Issues in using methodological triangulation in research.Nurse Res. 2009; 16: 40-55
- Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches.Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks2009
- Physiotherapists' perceived motivators and barriers for organizing physical activity for older long-term care facility residents.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 371-379
- Factors that influence physical activity in long-term care: Perspectives of residents, staff, and significant others.Can J Aging. 2011; 30: 247-258
- Interventions to enhance the quality of life of older people in residential long-term care: A systematic review.Ageing Res Rev. 2013; 12: 141-150
- Straightforward Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.Brooks/Cole Publishing, Pacific Grove, CA1996
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.