Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, University of Minnesota, Sratis Health. QAPI at a Glance: A step by step guide to implementing Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI) in Your Nursing Home 2012. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/QAPI/Downloads/QAPIAtaGlance.pdf. Accessed June 22, 2015.
- Pseudoinnovation: The development and spread of healthcare quality improvement methodologies.Int J Qual Health Care. 2009; 21: 153-159
- Implementation of quality assurance and performance improvement programs in nursing homes: A brief report.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 60-61
- The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality.National Academy Press, Washington, DC2003
- Quality improvement learning collaboratives.Qual Manag Health Care. 2005; 14: 234-247
- Improving care through collaboration.Pediatrics. 1999; 103: 384-393
- The VHA New England medication error prevention initiative as a mode for long-term improvement collaboratives.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007; 33: 73-82
- A hospital-to-nursing home transfer process associated with low hospital readmission rates while targeting quality of care, patient safety, and convenience: A 20-year perspective.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 367-374
- Systematic review of the application of quality improvement methodologies from the manufacturing industry to surgical health care.Br J Surg. 2012; 99: 324-335
- Lean sigma - Will it work for healthcare?.J Healthc Inf Manag. 2005; 19: 39-44
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The five elements of QAPI 2009. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/downloads/fiveelementsqapi.pdf. Accessed June 22, 2015.
- Quality improvement in chronic illness care: A collaborative approach.Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 2001; 27: 63-80
- Improving the quality of rural nursing care.Annu Rev Nurs Res. 2008; 26: 175-194
The Commonwealth Fund. Improving health care delivery: The “learning collaborative” approach 2005. Available at: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/tools/2005/jun/improving-health-care-delivery–the–learning-collaborative–approach. Accessed June 12, 2015.
- Rurality and nursing home quality: Results from a national sample of nursing home admissions.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1717-1722
- Rurality and nursing home quality: Evidence from the 2004 national nursing home survey.Gerontologist. 2011; 51: 761-773
- The interventions to reduce acute care transfers (INTERACT) quality improvement program: An overview for medical directors and primary care clinicians in long term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 162-170
- Applying the advancing excellence in America's nursing homes circle of success to improving and sustaining quality.Geriatr Nurs. 2013; 34: 402-411
Greater Rochester Quality Council. Our mission. Available at: http://www.grqc.org/GRQC-Mission-Vision-Values.aspx. Accessed June 20, 2015.
Health Resources and Services Administration. Comprehensive geriatric education program. Available at: http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/grants/geriatricsalliedhealth/cgep.html. Accessed June 22, 2015.
University of Rochester School of Nursing. Greater Rochester Nursing Home Quality Consortium Webpage 2015. Available at: http://research.son.rochester.edu/grnhqc/. Accessed June 22, 2015.
Fandel S. Cooperative project addresses quality at rural nursing homes 2009. Available at: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=2666. Accessed June 22, 2015.
Roth C. Nursing home project receives $800,000 HRSA grant to expand impact and provide gerontology traineeships to graduate nurses 2012. Available at: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=3645. Accessed June 22, 2015.
- Redesigning health systems for quality: Lessons from emerging practices.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006; 32: 599-611
Healthy People 2010. Healthy people in healthy communities: A community planning guide using healthy people 2010. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/2010/publications/healthycommunities2001/default.htm?visit=1. Accessed June 22, 2015.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Nursing home compare. Available at: http://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare/search.html. Accessed June 22, 2015.
- The Six Sigma initiative at Mount Sinai Medical Center.Mt Sinai J Med. 2008; 74: 45-52
- Patient safety and quality improvement: An overview of QI.Pediatr Rev. 2012; 33: 353-360
- Hourly rounding and patient falls: What factors boost success.Nursing. 2015; 45: 25-30
- Creating a high-reliability health care system: Improving performance on core processes of care at Johns Hopkins Medicine.Acad Med. 2015; 90: 165-172
- Using lean six sigma to reduce rehospitalizations from a nursing home: A pilot study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: B19
- “Getting paid for what we do:” A case study of Lean Six Sigma quality improvement by a nursing facility medical practice group.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: B9
AMDA Foundation. Foundation/Pfizer QI winners announced: “A Rural Collaboration to Reduce Avoidable Hospitalizations” 2011. Available at: http://www.amdafoundation.org/content/view/680/257/. Accessed June 22, 2015.
- Elimination of contact precautions for nursing home residents colonized with multi-drug resistant organisms: Substantial cost reduction and improved quality of life.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: B19
- Reducing avoidable rehospitalizations by improving residents' transitions to the nursing home.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: B22
- Cultivating communities of practice.Harvard Business School Press, Boston2002
- Quality collaboratives: Lessons from research.Qual Saf Health Care. 2002; 11: 345-351
Oklahoma Foundation for Medical Quality, Stratus Health, National Coordinating Center. National nursing home quality care collaborative: Change package 2013. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/QAPI/Downloads/NNHQCC-Package.pdf. Accessed June 22, 2015.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. National partnership to improve dementia care in nursing homes 2015. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/National-Partnership-to-Improve-Dementia-Care-in-Nursing-Homes.html. Accessed June 22, 2015.
Advancing Excellence in Long-Term Care Collaborative. Advancing excellence in America's nursing homes 2015. Available at: https://www.nhqualitycampaign.org/. Accessed June 22, 2015.
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization.Doubleday Currency, New York1990
Research reported in this publication was supported by the Bureau of Health Profession, Health Resources and Services Administration (D62HP15056) and the AMDA Foundation/Pfizer Quality Improvement Award. The sponsors have only provided funding for the study.
The authors are independent from the funders and declare no conflicts of interest.