Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
World Health Organisation. Dementia Fact Sheet Number 362. 2012. [24/05/2014]. Fact Sheet number 362. Available at: www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs362/en/. Accessed May 24, 2014.
- Efficacy and feasibility of nonpharmacological interventions for neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia in long-term care: A systematic review.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 503-506.e2
- Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: Guidance for prescribing exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1334-1359
- Efficacy of physical exercise intervention on mobility and physical functioning in older people with dementia: A systematic review.Exp Gerontol. 2013; 48: 85-93
- Exercise programes for people with dementia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : 1-73
- Dementia in Australia. Cat. no. AGE 70..AIHW, Canberra, Australia2012
Australian Government. Public Health Act. 2010. Available at: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/phact/pages/default.aspx. Accessed September 23, 2015.
Australian Bureau of Statisitics. People identified as havig dementia or Alzheimer's disease 2012 [updated 09/04/2013; 24/05/14]. 4102.0. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features50Dec+2012. Accessed May 24, 2014.
- Supervised exercise to reduce agitation in severely cognitively impaired persons.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2009; 10: 271-276
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 264-269
- Joanna Briggs Instititute Reviewers' Manual: 2014 edition.Joanna Briggs Institute, Adelaide2014
- Walking the line: A randomised trial on the effects of a short-term walking programme on cognition in dementia.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009; 80: 802-804
- Walking and night-time restlessness in mild-to-moderate dementia: A randomized controlled trial.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 746-749
- A randomized controlled trial of an activity specific exercise program for individuals with Alzheimer disease in long-term care settings.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2011; 34: 50-56
- Exercise program for nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease: A 1-year randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 158-165
- Cognitive and behavioural effects of music-based exercises in patients with dementia.Clin Rehabil. 2004; 18: 253-260
- Effects of multimodal nondrug therapy on dementia symptoms and need for care in nursing home residents with degenerative dementia: A randomized-controlled study with 6-month follow-up.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 830-840
- A controlled trial on the effects of motor intervention on balance and cognition in institutionalized elderly patients with dementia.Clin Rehabil. 2008; 22: 618-626
- Effects of a physical training programe on cognitive function and walking effciency in elderly persons with dementia.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2010; 29: 109-114
- The effects of group music with movement intervention on agitated behaviours of institutionalized elders with dementia in Taiwan.Complement Ther Med. 2006; 14: 113-119
- Six-month walking program changes cognitive and ADL performance in patients with Alzheimer.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2011; 26: 381-388
- Exercise training for depressed older adults with Alzheimer's disease.Aging Ment Health. 2008; 12: 72-80
- Effect of exercise on mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2007; 22: 389-397
- The effects of a walking/talking program on communication, ambulation, and functional status in residents with Alzheimer disease.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2002; 16: 81-87
- Hand motor activity, cognition, mood, and the rest–activity rhythm in dementia: A clustered RCT.Behav Brain Res. 2009; 196: 271-278
- A randomised controlled trial testing the impact of exercise on cognitive symptoms and disability of residents with dementia.Contemp Nurse. 2006; 21: 32-40
- From Alzheimer's disease retrogenesis: A new care strategy for patients with advanced dementia.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2012; 27: 483-489
- The effects of regular exercise on muscle strength and functional abilities of late stage Alzheimer's residents.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 1997; 12: 122-127
- Interchanging scores between clinical dementia rating scale and global deterioration scale.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2003; 17: 98-105
- Functional decline of the elderly in a nursing home.Singapore Med J. 2006; 47: 219-224
- Ageing, fitness and neurocognitive function.Nature. 1999; 400: 418-419
- Reliability of the Barthel index when used with older people.Age Ageing. 2005; 34: 228-232
- Exercise and Alzheimer's disease: Benefits and barriers.Activ Adapt Aging. 1996; 20: 21-34
- A randomized trial of a combined physical activity and environmental intervention in nursing home residents: Do sleep and agitation improve?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 784-791
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.