Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Health at a Glance 2013: OECD Indicators.OECD Publishing, Paris2013 (Available at:)Accessed April 21, 2015)
- Changes in demographics and health among the elderly in institutions 2000–2008 [in Dutch].Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2012; 90: 361-366
- Health Care Reform and Long-Term Care in the Netherlands. Economics department working paper No. 1010.OECD Publishing, Paris2013
- Research Accountability Elderly People in Institutions 2008 (0112008).([in Dutch]) GfK Panel Services Benelux bv, Dongen2009
- Long-Term Care for Older People.OECD, Paris2005
- Regulating nursing homes: Residential nursing facilities in the United States.BMJ. 2001; 323: 507-510
- Skill mix in the health care workforce: Reviewing the evidence.Bull World Health Organ. 2002; 80: 575-580
- International experts' perspectives on the state of the nurse staffing and patient outcomes literature.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2007; 39: 290-297
- The relationship between nurse staffing and quality of care in nursing homes: A systematic review.Int J Nurs Stud. 2011; 48: 732-750
- Nursing home caregiver staffing levels and quality of care: A literature review.J Appl Gerontol. 2008; 27: 375-405
- Nurse staffing impact on quality of care in nursing homes: A systematic review of longitudinal studies.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 383-393
- The care unit in nursing home research: Evidence in support of a definition.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2011; 11: 46
- Patient- and ward-level determinants of nursing time in nursing facilities.J Health Serv Res Policy. 2005; 10: 226-231
- Relationships between patient dependency, nursing workload and quality.Int J Nurs Stud. 2005; 42: 75-84
- Nursing effort and quality of care for nursing home residents.Gerontologist. 2007; 47: 672-682
- How nursing staff spend their time on activities in a nursing home: An observational study.J Adv Nurs. 2011; 67: 1908-1917
- Observing how RNs use clinical time in a nursing home: A pilot study.Geriatr Nurs. 2012; 33: 256-263
- The work pattern of personal care workers in two Australian nursing homes: A time-motion study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 305
- Health care aides use of time in a residential long-term care unit: A time and motion study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2013; 50: 1229-1239
- Tasks performance by registered nurses and care assistants in nursing homes: A quantitative comparison of survey data.Int J Nurs Stud. 2007; 44: 1459-1467
- International Standard Classification of Occupations. ISCO-08, 2012 ISCO-08. Volume I. Structure, group definitions and correspondence tables.ILO, Geneva2012
- Tackling nurse shortages in OECD countries. OECD Health Working Papers No. 19.OECD, Paris2005
- MOVISIE. Profile primary caregiver.([In Dutch]) Sociaal Overleg Verpleeg-, Verzorgingshuizen en Thuiszorg, Utrecht2009
- Quality document 2012. Nursing, Care and Home Care.([In Dutch]) RVZ, Den Haag, The Netherlands2012
Bulechek M, Butcher HK, Dochterman JM. Nursing interventions [In Dutch]. 3rd ed. Dutch translation by Merkus H, Seunke W, Van Pinksteren I, et al. Amsterdam: Reed Business, 2008.
- Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC).6th ed. Mosby, Elsevier, St Louis2013
- Staffing, quality, and productivity in the nursing home.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 784-786
- Refining the Care Severity Index—Descriptions and Algorithms.([In Dutch]. HW/07/2740/imz (October)) Bureau HHM, Enschede, The Netherlands2007
- A comparison of work-sampling and time-and-motion techniques for studies in health services research.Health Serv Res. 1993; 28: 577-597
- Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice.9th ed. Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2012
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
- Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS.Springer, New York2000
- The Elderly Now and in the Future. Health and care 2000 – 2020.([in Dutch]. Report 27050200 RIVM) Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum, Houten, The Netherlands2004
- Care Severity Index. Sector Nursing & Care.([in Dutch]. Version 2013. AR/12/2533/izzp (December)) Bureau HHM, Enschede, The Netherlands2012
- Prevalence, patterns and predictors of nursing care left undone in European hospitals: Results from the multicountry cross-sectional RN4CAST study.BMJ Qual Saf. 2014; 23: 126-135
- Daily staffing and quality of care in long-term care.([in Dutch]) NIVEL, Utrecht2012
Rijksoverheid. Labor Times Act [Arbeidstijdenwet], Article 5:4, 1995. Available at: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0007671/geldigheidsdatum_17-04-2014. Accessed April 17, 2014.
Rutherford MA. Standardized nursing language: What does it mean for nursing practice? OJIN 2008;13, http://dx.doi.org/10.3912/OJIN.Vol13No01PPT05. Available at: http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ThePracticeofProfessionalNursing/Health-IT/StandardizedNursingLanguage.html. Accessed April 17, 2014.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
This study was funded by the Stichting Innovatie Alliantie, Regional Attention and Action for Knowledge circulation (SIA RAAK-PRO), project pro-1–035. The SIA-RAAK-PRO monitored the progress of the project and had no involvement in conducting the results.