Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- The global prevalence of dementia: A systematic review and metaanalysis.Alzheimers Dement. 2013; 9: 63-75.e2
- Alzheimer's Disease International. World Alzheimer Report. 2009 (Available at:)Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Alzheimer's disease International. Dementia: A public health priority.2012 (Available at:)Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in developing countries: Prevalence, management, and risk factors.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 812-826
- Patient and caregiver characteristics and nursing home placement in patients with dementia.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2090-2097
- Reasons for institutionalization of people with dementia: Informal caregiver reports from 8 European countries.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 108-116
- The cost of dementia in Europe: A review of the evidence, and methodological considerations.Pharmacoeconomics. 2009; 27: 391-403
- The main cost drivers in dementia: A systematic review.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015; 30: 111-129
- The GERAS study: A prospective observational study of costs and resource use in community dwellers with Alzheimer's disease in three European countries—study design and baseline findings.J Alzheimers Dis. 2013; 36: 385-399
- Variation in cost of informal caregiving and formal-service use for people with Alzheimer's disease.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2004; 19: 299-308
- The relation of patient dependence to home health aide use in Alzheimer's disease.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2008; 63: 1005-1009
- Home health and informal care utilization and costs over time in Alzheimer's disease.Home Health Care Serv Q. 2008; 27: 1-20
- Implications of the facing dementia survey for the general population, patients and caregivers across Europe.Int J Clin Pract Suppl. 2005; 146: 17-24
- Transitions in care for older adults with and without dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 813-820
- The ICTUS study: A prospective longitudinal observational study of 1,380 AD patients in Europe. Study design and baseline characteristics of the cohort.Neuroepidemiology. 2007; 29: 29-38
- Progression of Alzheimer disease in Europe: Data from the European ICTUS study.Curr Alzheimer Res. 2012; 9: 902-912
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: Report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease.Neurology. 1984; 34: 939-944
- “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- A new rating scale for Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1984; 141: 1356-1364
- Studies of illness in the aged. The Index of ADL: A standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.JAMA. 1963; 185: 914-919
- Assessment of older people: Self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living.Gerontologist. 1969; 9: 179-186
- The Neuropsychiatric Inventory: Comprehensive assessment of psychopathology in dementia.Neurology. 1994; 44: 2308-2314
- A new clinical scale for the staging of dementia.Br J Psychiatry. 1982; 140: 566-572
- Relatives of the impaired elderly: Correlates of feelings of burden.Gerontologist. 1980; 20: 649-655
- Evaluation of the Healthcare Resource Utilization and Caregiver Time in Anti-Dementia Drug Trials—A Quantitative Battery.in: Wimo A. Jonsson B. Karlsson G. Winblad B. The Health Economics of Dementia. John Wiley and Sons, London1998: 465-499
- Multi-state models for the analysis of time-to-event data.Stat Methods Med Res. 2009; 18: 195-222
- Long-term care for the elderly. Provisions and providers in 33 European countries.2010 (Available at:)Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Reconciliation between work, private and family life in the European Union.2009 (Available at:)Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Active ageing and solidarity between generations in Europe.2013 (Available at:)Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Facts and Figures on healthy ageing and long-term care.2009 (Available at: http://www.euro.centre.org/data/1258467686_61318.pdf. Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Facts and Figures on healthy ageing and long-term care.2012 (Available at:)Accessed July 17, 2015)
- Multi-state models for panel data: The msm Package for R.J Stat Softw. 2011; 38: 1-29
- Predictors of costs of care in Alzheimer's disease: A multinational sample of 1222 patients.Alzheimers Dement. 2011; 7: 318-327
- Predictors of institutionalisation in incident dementia—results of the German Study on Ageing, Cognition and Dementia in Primary Care Patients (AgeCoDe study).Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2012; 33: 282-288
- Nursing home admission in elderly subjects with dementia: Predictive factors and future challenges.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 83.e17-83.e20
- Care services for dementia patients: Predictors for service utilization.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1997; 12: 1119-1126
- Predictors of health and human services use by persons with dementia and their family caregivers.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 55: 1255-1266
- The need for outreach and case management. Confused minds, burdened families: finding help for people with Alzheimer's and other dementias.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC1990
- Errors in self-reports of health services use: Impact on Alzheimer disease clinical trial designs.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2015; 29: 75-81
- Spouse similarity in newlyweds with respect to specific cognitive abilities, socioeconomic status, and education.Behav Genet. 1981; 11: 1-21
N.C. and A.G. contributed equally to this work.
The Impact of Cholinergic Treatment Use/Data Sharing Alzheimer (ICTUS/DSA) group members are listed in the Appendix.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
No funding was received for this specific analysis. The ICTUS study was partially supported by a grant from the European Commission within the fifth framework programme (grant number QLK6-CT-2002–02645) and partially from an unrestricted equal grant from each of Eisai, Janssen, Lundbeck, and Novartis pharmaceutical companies. The pharmaceutical companies had no role in study design, data collection, data analysis, data interpretation. Promotion of the ICTUS study was supported by the University Hospital Centre of Toulouse. The data sharing activity was supported by the “Association Monegasque pour la recherche sur la maladie d’Alzheimer” (AMPA) and the INSERM – University of Toulouse III UMR 1027 research Unit.