Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Features of the Japanese national dementia strategy in comparison with international dementia policies: How should a national dementia policy interact with the public health- and social-care systems?.Alzheimers Dement. 2014; 10: 468-476
- An evaluation of palliative care contents in national dementia strategies in reference to the European Association for Palliative Care white paper.Int Psychogeriatr. 2015; 27: 1551-1561
- Alzheimer's Disease International. World Alzheimer Report 2010. The Global Economic Impact of Dementia. Alzheimer's Disease International, London2010
- Transitions in care for older adults with and without dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 813-820
- The impact of dementia on care transitions during the last two years of life.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 52-57
- A whole system study of intermediate care services for older people.Age Ageing. 2005; 34: 577-583
- Development and validation of an instrument to predict probability of home discharge from a geriatric convalescence unit in Spain.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 252-257
- Outcomes at 12 months in a population of elderly patients discharged from a rehabilitation unit.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 55-64
- Substitution of a nursing-led inpatient unit for acute services: Randomized controlled trial of outcomes and cost of nursing-led intermediate care.Age Ageing. 2001; 30: 483-488
- Postacute care for older people in community hospitals: A multicenter randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1995-2002
- Post-acute care for older people in community hospitals: A cost-effectiveness analysis within a multi-centre randomised controlled trial.Age Ageing. 2008; 37: 513-520
- Effectiveness of community hospital-based post-acute care on functional recovery and 12-month mortality in older patients: A prospective cohort study.Ann Med. 2010; 42: 630-636
- A randomised controlled trial of a care home rehabilitation service to reduce long-term institutionalisation for elderly people.Age Ageing. 2004; 33: 384-390
- Outcomes of older people admitted to postacute facilities with delirium.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 963-969
- Post-discharge home-based support for older cardiac patients: A randomised controlled trial.Age Ageing. 2005; 34: 338-343
- Predictors of institutionalization in demented patients discharged from a rehabilitation unit.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7: 345-349
- Health services utilization associated with cognitive impairment and dementia in older patients undergoing post-acute rehabilitation.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 692-697
- Living Well With Dementia: A National Dementia Strategy.Department of Health, London2009
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety. Improving dementia services in Northern Ireland: A regional strategy. Available at: http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/improving-dementia-services-in-northern-ireland-a-regional-strategy-november-2011.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Long-term care insurance comes to Japan.Health Aff (Millwood). 2000; 19: 26-39
- Japanese public long-term care insured: Preferences for future long-term care facilities, including relocation, waiting times, and individualized care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 350.e9-350.e20
- Health care and personal care needs among residents in nursing homes, group homes, and congregate housing in Japan: Why does transition occur, and where can the frail elderly establish a permanent residence?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 76.e1-76.e6
- Survey of Institutions and Establishments for Long-term Care, 2013.Health, Labor, and Welfare Statistics Association, Tokyo2015 (Japanese)
- Transition Care for Older People Leaving Hospital 2005–06 to 2012–13.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Canberra2014
- National Audit of Intermediate Care Report 2013.NHS Benchmarking Network, Manchester2013
Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. A Comprehensive Strategy for the Promotion of Dementia Measures: Towards a Community Friendly to the Elderly with Dementia, etc- (A New Orange Plan). Available at: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/file/04-Houdouhappyou-12304500-Roukenkyoku-Ninchishougyakutaiboushitaisakusuishinshitsu/02_1.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2015. Japanese.
Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. Survey of institutions and establishments for long-term care, 2010. Outline of surveys. Available at: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/database/db-hss/dl/siel-2010-01.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2015.
- Change in end-of-life care for Medicare beneficiaries. Site of death, place of care, and health care transitions in 2000, 2005, and 2009.JAMA. 2013; 309: 470-477
- Restricting symptoms in the last year of life. A prospective cohort study.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1534-1540
- The relationship between Revised Hasegawa Dementia Scale (HDS-R), Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) and Bed-fast Scale, Dementia Scale.Japanese Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2009; 20 (Japanese): 883-891
- Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata Volume II: Categorical Responses, Counts, and Survival.3rd ed. Stata Press, College Station, Texas2012
- Adverse outcomes after hospitalization and delirium in persons with Alzheimer disease.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156 (W296): 848-856
- Diagnosing delirium in older hospitalized adults with dementia: Adapting the confusion assessment method to international classification of diseases, tenth revision, diagnostic criteria.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1471-1477
- Priority for elderly persons with behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia on waiting lists for placement in nursing homes in Japan: Do nursing homes change priorities based on their own guidelines?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 794-799
- Effectiveness of a National Transitional Care Program in reducing acute care use.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 747-753
- Factors influencing users' return home on discharge from a geriatric intermediate care facility in Japan.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995; 43: 623-626
- Prediction of discharge destination after neurological rehabilitation in stroke patients.Eur Neurol. 2010; 63: 227-233
- Factors that predict discharge destination for patients in transitional care: A prospective observational cohort study.Aust Health Rev. 2012; 36: 430-436
- Relationship of patient volume and service concentration with outcome in geriatric rehabilitation.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 731-735
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
The present study was funded by JSPS KAKENHI through a Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B), Grant 15K20796. The funding source had no involvement in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; and preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare or the Japanese government.