Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
World Health Organization. Call for action by the participants of the first WHO ministerial conference on global action against dementia. Geneva, 2015:2. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/action-on-dementia/en/. Accessed November 11, 2015.
- Recommendations for the management of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.Can J Neurol Sci. 2001; 28: S96-S107
- Agitated behaviors in the elderly. I. A conceptual review.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986; 34: 711-721
- Use of antipsychotic drugs among residents with dementia in European long-term care facilities: Results from the SHELTER study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 911-917
Food and Drug Administration. Public Health Advisory: Deaths with antipsychotics in elderly patients with behavioral disturbances. Secondary Public Health Advisory: Deaths with antipsychotics in elderly patients with behavioral disturbances 2005. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/postmarketdrugsafetyinformationforpatientsandproviders/ucm053171.htm. Accessed November 11, 2015.
Food and Drug Administration. Information for Healthcare Professionals: Conventional Antipsychotics. Secondary Information for Healthcare Professionals: Conventional Antipsychotics 2008. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/postmarketdrugsafetyinformationforpatientsandproviders/ucm124830.htm. Accessed November 11, 2015.
European Medicines Agency. 2010 EMEA Priorities for Drugs Safety Research: Safety aspects of Antipsychotics in Demented Patients. Secondary 2010 EMEA Priorities for Drugs Safety Research: Safety aspects of Antipsychotics in Demented Patients 2009. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Other/2010/03/WC500076323.pdf. Accessed November 11, 2015.
- Use of physical restraints and antipsychotic medications in nursing homes: A cross-national study.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009; 24: 1110-1118
- Physical restraint use and falls in nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996; 44: 627-633
- Differences in period prevalence of the use of physical restraints in elderly inpatients of European hospitals and nursing homes.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2004; 59: M922-M923
- Assessment of nursing home residents in Europe: The Services and Health for Elderly in Long TERm care (SHELTER) study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 5
- Reliability of the interRAI suite of assessment instruments: A 12-country study of an integrated health information system.BMC Health Serv Res. 2008; 8: 277
- Sharing clinical information across care settings: The birth of an integrated assessment system.BMC Health Serv Res. 2009; 9: 71
- A brief training program on resident assessment instrument improves motivation of nursing home staff.J Nutr Health Aging. 1999; 3: 24-28
- Scaling ADLs within the MDS.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999; 54: M546-M553
- MDS Cognitive Performance Scale.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M174-M182
- Development of a minimum data set-based depression rating scale for use in nursing homes.Age Ageing. 2000; 29: 165-172
- Diagnostic data for neurological conditions in interRAI assessments in home care, nursing home and mental health care settings: A validity study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2013; 13: 457
- The OBRA-87 nursing home regulations and implementation of the Resident Assessment Instrument: Effects on process quality.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 977-985
- Nursing home care in the USA.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2009; 9: 1-6
- Florida's efforts to improve quality of nursing home care through nurse staffing standards, regulation, and Medicaid reimbursement.J Aging Soc Policy. 2009; 21: 318-337
- Effectiveness of a multifactorial intervention to reduce physical restraints in nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 333-339
- The relationship between nursing leadership and patient outcomes: A systematic review update.J Nurs Manag. 2013; 21: 709-724
- Nursing working conditions in relation to restraint practices in long-term care units.Med Care. 2006; 44: 1114-1120
- Nurse staffing impact on quality of care in nursing homes: A systematic review of longitudinal studies.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 383-393
- The association of registered nurse staffing levels and patient outcomes: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Med Care. 2007; 45: 1195-1204
- Measuring quality of long-term institutional care in Finland.Eurohealth. 2010; 16: 8-10
Btprax Online Lexikon Betreuungs-recht. Unterbringungsähnliche Maßnahme. Secondary Unterbringungsähnliche Maßnahme 2013. Available at: http://www.bundesanzeiger-verlag.de/betreuung/wiki/Unterbringungs%C3%A4hnliche_Ma%C3%9Fnahme. Accessed November 11, 2015.
All authors declare that they have not received support from any organization for the submitted work, nor do they have financial relationships with any organizations that might have an interest in the submitted work. All authors report they have no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work.
The Services and Health for Elderly in Long-Term Care study was funded by the European 7th Framework Program (# EC FP7-HEALTH-2007-B). All researchers, including the co-authors, were independent from the funder, and the funding body did not play any role in the study design, in the collection, analysis, or interpretation of data, in manuscript preparation or in the decision to submit the article for publication.
Authors' Contributions: A.D.F., G.O., D.L.V., R.B. and R.L. were involved in the conception and design of the study, analysis and interpretation of data, and preparation of the manuscript. H.F.-S., A.L., M.D.D., A.C., and V.B. were members of the SHELTER study teams involved in acquisition and interpretation of data, and revision of the manuscript. The final version of the manuscript was revised and approved by all authors.