Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 308-328
- Feasibility of a patient-centered deprescribing process to reduce inappropriate use of proton pump inhibitors.Ann Pharmacother. 2015; 49: 29-38
- Four-year trends of inappropriate proton pump inhibitor use after hospital discharge.South Med J. 2013; 106: 270-273
- Overutilization of proton-pump inhibitors: What the clinician needs to know.Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2012; 5: 219-232
- Potential costs of inappropriate use of proton pump inhibitors.Am J Med Sci. 2014; 347: 446-451
- Use of proton pump inhibitors and other acid suppressive medications in newly admitted nursing facility patients.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 607-609
- A benefit-risk assessment of the use of proton pump inhibitors in the elderly.Drugs Aging. 2014; 31: 263-282
- Risk of Clostridium difficile infection with acid suppressing drugs and antibiotics: Meta-analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 1011-1019
- Use of acid-suppressive drugs and risk of pneumonia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2011; 183: 310-319
- Proton pump inhibitors and risk of fractures: A meta-analysis of 11 international studies.Am J Med. 2012; 124: 519-526
Canadian Institute for Health Information. Prescribed drug spending in Canada, 2012: A focus on public drug programs spending and health workforce. 2014. Available at: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/Prescribed_Drug_Spending_in_Canada_EN.pdf. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- Evidence-based deprescribing algorithm for proton pump inhibitors.(Available at:)Accessed March 11, 2016)
- Developmental evaluation as a strategy to enhance the uptake and use of deprescribing guidelines: Protocol for a multiple case study.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 91
Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary. Formulary search 2016. Available at: https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca/formulary/. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- Regression based quasi-experimental approach when randomisation is not an option: Interrupted time series analysis.BMJ. 2015; 350: h2750
- The effectiveness of clinical guideline implementation strategies—a synthesis of systematic review findings.J Eval Clin Pract. 2008; 14: 888-897
- Strategies for discontinuation of proton pump inhibitors: A systematic review.Fam Pract. 2014; 31: 625-630
- Patient-directed strategy to reduce prescribing for patients with dyspepsia in general practice: A randomized trial.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 19: 917-922
- Proton pump inhibitor discontinuation in long-term care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 1658-1664
- Impact of clinical pharmacists’ recommendations on a proton pump inhibitor taper protocol in an ambulatory care practice.J Manag Care Pharm. 2013; 19: 325-333
- Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time series studies in medication use research.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2002; 27: 299-309
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
The “Deprescribing Guidelines in the Elderly Project” is a research program of The Ontario Pharmacy Research Collaboration (OPEN), which is funded by the Government of Ontario. BF received the funding. The views of the funding bodies have not influenced the content of this study. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not represent those of the Government of Ontario. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript. Grant #06674 http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/ministry/research/hsrf.aspx.