Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Hospitalization and mortality rates in long-term care facilities: Does for-profit status matter?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 874-883
- Risk of continued institutionalization after hospitalization in older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011; 66: 1321-1327
- Who transitions to the community from nursing homes? Comparing patterns and predictors for short-stay and long-stay residents.Home Health Care Serv Q. 2013; 32: 75-91
- Obesity and pressure ulcers among nursing home residents.Med Care. 2013; 51: 478-486
- Predictors of nursing home residents' time to hospitalization.Health Serv Res. 2011; 46: 82-104
- Prevalence and patterns of potentially avoidable hospitalizations in the US long-term care setting.Int J Qual Health Care. 2016; 28: 104-109
- Use of postacute care by nursing home residents hospitalized for stroke or hip fracture: How prevalent and to what end?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1490-1496
- Skilled nursing facility admissions of nursing home residents with advanced dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 1645-1650
- Mortality-related factors and 1-year survival in nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 213-221
- Community discharge of nursing home residents: The role of facility characteristics.Health Serv Res. 2016; 51: 645-666
- The residential history file: Studying nursing home residents' long-term care histories(*).Health Serv Res. 2011; 46: 120-137
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Office of the Actuary. Brief summaries of Medicare & Medicaid.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/MedicareProgramRatesStats/Downloads/MedicareMedicaidSummaries2016.pdfDate accessed: July 25, 2017
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Effect of forced transitions on the most functionally impaired nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1895-1900
- Polychoric and polyserial correlations.in: Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences. 7. John Wiley, New York1988: 69-74
- Hospital variation in rates of new institutionalizations within 6 months of discharge.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 1206-1213
- Comparison of methods to identify long term care nursing home residence with administrative data.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 376
- Medicare expenditures among nursing home residents with advanced dementia.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 824-830
Department of Health and Human Services. Nursing Home Data Compendium 2015 Edition. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/CertificationandComplianc/Downloads/nursinghomedatacompendium_508-2015.pdf Accessed September 14, 2016.
- Medicare and Medicaid: Conflicting incentives for long-term care.Milbank Q. 2007; 85: 579-610
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. A data book: Health care spending and the Medicare program. Available at: . http://medpac.gov/documents/data-book/june-2016-data-book-health-care-spending-and-the-medicare-program.pdf?sfvrsn=0. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- End-of-life transitions among nursing home residents with cognitive issues.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1212-1221
- Nursing home adverse events: Further insight into highest risk periods.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 467-474
- Medicare’s bundled payment pilot for acute and postacute care: Analysis and recommendations on where to begin.Health Aff. 2011; 30: 1708-1717
- Opportunities and challenges for episode-based payment.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 777-779
- Measure specifications for measures adopted in the FY 2017 SNF QRP final rule.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/NursingHomeQualityInits/Downloads/Measure-Specifications-for-FY17-SNF-QRP-Final-Rule.pdfDate accessed: August 23, 2016
- Nursing home placement: Perspectives of community-dwelling older persons.J Clin Nurs. 2007; 16: 911-917
- Giving voice to elderly people: Community-based long-term care.Public Health Nurs. 1997; 14: 217-226
- Attitudes about entering a nursing home: Comparisons of older rural and urban African-American women.J Aging Stud. 1997; 11: 27-47
- Clarity Final Report: Aging in Place in America.Prince Market Research, Nashville, TN2007
- Medicaid expenditure for long-term services and supports (LTSS) in FY 2014: Managed LTSS reached 15 percent of LTSS spending.(Available at:)https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-topics/long-term-services-and-supports/downloads/ltss-expenditures-2014.pdfDate accessed: June 2, 2016
- Prospects for transferring nursing home residents to the community.Health Aff (Millwood). 2007; 26: 1762-1771
This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health (grants number R01AG33134, K05CA134923, R01HD069443, K12HD055929, P2CHD065702, and P30AG024832) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (grant number R24HS22134). The funding organizations had no role in the design of the study; the collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; or the preparation of the manuscript.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.