Cardiovascular diseases are mainly related to hypertension and dyslipidemia and increase with aging because of the larger time span for these risk factors to damage arterial blood vessels. The impact of cardiovascular drug therapy on outcomes in the very elderly hospitalized is still not well established. The aim of our study was to evaluate the associations between cardiovascular therapy and in-hospital mortality in very elderly hypertensives.
Prospective observational study.
310 very elderly hypertensive patients admitted to our Internal Medicine and Geriatrics Department for medical conditions.
Main comorbidities, laboratory parameters, and cardiovascular drug therapy taken before admission were considered for the analyses.
The mean age was 88.1 ± 5.1 years, with female prevalence of 57.4%. Among cardiovascular drugs taken before admission, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors/angiotensin receptor blockers and statins were those associated with lower in-hospital mortality, even after adjusting for covariates (age, hemoglobin, albumin, acute kidney injury, ADL Hierarchy Scale, NT-proBNP levels) [odds ratio (OR) = 0.46, P = .045, and OR = 0.21, P = .008, respectively]. No difference regarding in-hospital mortality was found between ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (P = .414).
ACE inhibitors/angiotensin receptor blockers and statins, through their beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system, have a positive impact on survival in very elderly hospitalized patients. Our data confirm the important role of such drugs even in this particular population with a mean age higher than 88 years, where scientific evidence is still scanty.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Italy: WHO statistical profile. Country statistics and global health estimates by WHO and UN partners. Last updated: January 2015.
- Cardiovascular drug therapy in the elderly: Benefits and challenges.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2011; 8: 13-28
- Trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control rates in United States adults between 1988-1994 and 1999-2004.Hypertension. 2008; 52: 818-827
- 2013 ESH/ESC guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: The Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).J Hypertens. 2013; 31: 1281-1357
- Treatment of hypertension in patients 80 years of age or older.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 1887-1898
- Intensive vs standard blood pressure control and cardiovascular disease outcomes in adults aged ≥75 years: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2673-2682
- Hypertension, its treatment, frailty, falls, and mortality.Hypertension. 2017; 70: 253-254
- Emergency department use by older adults: A literature review on trends, appropriateness, and consequences of unmet health care needs.Med Care Res Rev. 2011; 68: 131-155
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- An international consensus statement regarding amino-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide testing: The International NT-proBNP Consensus Panel.Am J Cardiol. 2008; 101: S1-S96
- Scaling ADLs within the MDS.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999; 54: M546-M553
- The Mini-Cog as a screen for dementia: Validation in a population-based sample.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 1451-1454
- Geriatric Index of Comorbidity: Validation and comparison with other measures of comorbidity.Age Ageing. 2002; 31: 277-285
- Pharmacotherapy considerations in elderly adults.South Med J. 2012; 105: 437-445
- Quality of care in congestive heart failure in the elderly: Epidemiological evidence of a gap between guidelines and clinical practice.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2010; 22: 243-248
- Association between guideline recommended drugs and death in older adults with multiple chronic conditions: Population based cohort study.BMJ. 2015; 351: h4984
- Predictive factors of in-hospital mortality in older patients admitted to a medical intensive care unit.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 529-533
- Cardiac and inflammatory biomarkers and in-hospital mortality in older medical patients.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 68-72
- Inflammation and disability as risk factors for mortality in elderly acute care patients.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009; 48: 406-410
- Evaluation and management of anemia in the elderly.Am J Hematol. 2014; 89: 88-96
- In nonagenarians, acute kidney injury predicts in-hospital mortality, while heart failure predicts hospital length of stay.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e77929
- NT-proBNP and its correlation with in-hospital mortality in the very elderly without an admission diagnosis of heart failure.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0153759
- Admission heart rate and in-hospital outcomes in patients hospitalized for heart failure in sinus rhythm and in atrial fibrillation.Am Heart J. 2013; 165: 567-574
- Blood pressure, antihypertensive polypharmacy, frailty, and risk for serious fall injuries among older treated adults with hypertension.Hypertension. 2017; 70: 259-266
- Hypertension and its treatment at age 90 years: Is there an association with 5-year mortality?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 277.e13-277.e19
- An expert opinion from the European Society of Hypertension-European Union Geriatric Medicine Society Working Group on the management of hypertension in very old, frail subjects.Hypertension. 2016; 67: 820-825
- Characterizing frailty status in the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 71: 649-655
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in rural and urban communities in high-, middle-, and low-income countries.JAMA. 2013; 310: 959-968
- Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular outcomes in elderly hypertensive patients treated with either ARB or ACEI.J Geriatr Cardiol. 2012; 9: 252-257
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors reduce mortality in hypertension: A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system inhibitors involving 158,998 patients.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 2088-2097
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers in patients without heart failure? Insights from 254,301 patients from randomized trials.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 51-60
- The divergent cardiovascular effects of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers on myocardial infarction and death.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2016; 58: 473-482
- ACCF/AHA 2011 expert consensus document on hypertension in the elderly: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2434-2506
- Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system blockade effects on the kidney in the elderly: Benefits and limitations.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 1330-1339
- The effects of an olmesartan medoxomil-based treatment algorithm on 24-hour blood pressure levels in elderly patients aged 65 and older.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2009; 11: 411-421
- Effect of telmisartan on renal outcomes: A randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151 (W1–2): 1-10
- Antihypertensive treatment and renal protection: The role of drugs inhibiting the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2013; 20: 273-282
- Cardiac natriuretic peptides, hypertension and cardiovascular risk.High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2017; 24: 115-126
- Protective effects of renin-angiotensin blockade beyond blood pressure control.J Hum Hypertens. 2009; 23: 570-577
- Plasma renin activity to plasma aldosterone concentration ratio correlates with night-time and pulse pressures in essential hypertensive patients treated with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors/AT1 blockers.J Hypertens. 2017; 35: 2315-2322
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2129-2200
- Pravastatin in elderly individuals at risk of vascular disease (PROSPER): A randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1623-1630
- Rosuvastatin for primary prevention in older persons with elevated C-reactive protein and low to average low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels: Exploratory analysis of a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 488-496
- Statins for primary cardiovascular prevention in the elderly.J Geriatr Cardiol. 2015; 12: 431-438
- Benefits of statins in elderly subjects without established cardiovascular disease: A meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: 2090-2099
- Benefit of statin pretreatment in prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy in different adult patient population: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Open Heart. 2014; 1: e000127
- Statin effects beyond lipid lowering—are they clinically relevant?.Eur Heart J. 2003; 24: 225-248
- Statins and mortality among elderly patients hospitalized with heart failure.Circulation. 2006; 113: 1086-1092
- Statin therapy is associated with improved survival in ischemic and non-ischemic heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 43: 642-648
- Statin therapy is associated with fewer deaths in patients with bacteraemia.Intensive Care Med. 2006; 32: 75-79
- The lipid and non-lipid effects of statins.Pharmacol Ther. 2003; 99: 95-112
- Inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine production by pravastatin.Lancet. 1999; 353: 983-984
- Anti-inflammatory effects of simvastatin in subjects with hypercholesterolemia.Int J Cardiol. 2001; 77: 247-253
- The effect of prior statin use on 30-day mortality for patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia.Respir Res. 2005; 6: 82
- The effect of statins on mortality in patients with bacteremia.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 33: 1352-1357
- On-treatment blood pressure and cardiovascular outcomes in older adults with isolated systolic hypertension.Hypertension. 2017; 69: 220-227
Published online: November 08, 2017
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2017 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.