Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- A systematic review of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of sensory, psychological and behavioural interventions for managing agitation in older adults with dementia.Health Technol Assess. 2014; 18: 488-494
- Prevalence, costs, and treatment of Alzheimer's disease and related dementia: A managed care perspective.Am J Manag Care. 2001; 7: 809-818
- Dementia care: A global concern and social work challenge.International Social Work. 2011; 54: 361-373
- Dementia in Australia. Cat. no. AGE 70.AIHW, Canberra2012
- Nonpharmacological intervention for agitation in dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Aging Ment Health. 2009; 13: 512-520
- Sources of moral distress for nursing staff providing care to residents with dementia.Dementia (London). 2017; 16: 815-834
- Assessment and management of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.BMJ. 2015; 350: h369
- Dementia: Supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social care.(Available at:)https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg42Date accessed: March 15, 2016
- Effects on symptoms of agitation and depression in persons with dementia participating in robot-assisted activity: A cluster-randomized controlled trial.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 867-873
- Exploring the effect of companion robots on emotional expression in older adults with dementia: a pilot randomized controlled trial.J Gerontol Nurs. 2013; 39: 46-53
- The utilization of robotic pets in dementia care.J Alzheimers Dis. 2017; 55: 569-574
- Comparison of verbal and emotional responses of elderly people with mild/moderate dementia and those with severe dementia in responses to seal robot, PARO.Front Aging Neurosci. 2014; 6: 257
- Behavioral responses of nursing home residents to visits from a person with a dog, a robot seal or a toy cat.Anthrozoös. 2016; 29: 107-121
- Socially assistive robots in elderly care: A systematic review into effects and effectiveness.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 114-120
- Use of a robotic seal as a therapeutic tool to improve dementia symptoms: a cluster-randomised controlled trial.J Am Med Direct Assoc. 2017; 18: 766-773
- The impact of a restraint-reduction program on nursing home residents.Geriatr Nurs. 1994; 15: 142-146
- Effect of an interactive therapeutic robotic animal on engagement, mood states, agitation and psychotrophic drug use in people with dementia. a cluster randomised controlled trial protocol.BMJ Open. 2015; 5: e009097
- Care staff perceptions of a social robot called paro and a look-alike plush toy: a descriptive qualitative approach.Aging Ment Health. 2016; : 1-6
- Final report: Dementia outcomes measurement suite project.Centre for Health Service Development, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia2007
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).(Available at:)http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/homeDate accessed: February 23, 2016
- Caring for Aged Dementia Care Resident Study (CADRES) of person-centred care, dementia-care mapping, and usual care in dementia: A cluster-randomised trial.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8 (Accessed February 23, 2016.): 317-325
- Effectiveness of a continuum of care using brief and partial hospitalization for agitated dementia patients.Psychiatr Serv. 1997; 48: 1435-1439
- Dementia care mapping and patient-centred care in australian residential homes: An economic evaluation of the care study.Centre for Health Economics Research and Evaluation, University of Technology, Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia2008
- 2015 Beers Criteria Update Expert Panel. American Geriatrics Society 2015 updated Beers Criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 2227-2246
- Pharmacotherapy of persons with dementia in long-term care in australia: a descriptive audit of central nervous system medications.Curr Drug Saf. 2017 Feb 9; ([Epub ahead of print])
Conflicts of interest: Dr. Takanori Shibata, the developer of PARO, provided five additional PAROs for the study. He had no role in any aspect of the study design, undertaking, analysis, and interpretation, or in the reporting of findings and manuscript preparation. The authors declare no other financial, personal, or potential conflicts of interest.
Funding: This work was supported by the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (APP1065320).