Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Efforts to reduce antipsychotic use in dementia care are starting to bear fruit, but a lot of work remains to be done.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 204-206
- Agitated behaviors in the elderly, I: A conceptual review.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986; 34: 711-721
- Does self-neglect occur among older adults with dementia when unsupervised in assisted living? An exploratory, observational study.J Elder Abuse Neglect. 2014; 26: 123-149
- Positive effects among nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease: The effect of recreation activity.Aging Ment Health. 2005; 9: 129-134
- Computer-assisted direct observation of behavioral agitation, engagement, and affect in long-term care residents.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 514-520
- Validation method.in: Feil N. de Klerk-Rubin V. The Validation Breakthrough: Simple Techniques for Communicating With People With Alzheimer's-Type Dementia. 2nd ed. Health Professions Press, Baltimore, MD2002: 21
Macaulay S. 6 reasons why staff in long-term care facilities don't report incidents of elder abuse and neglect. Available at: http://myalzheimersstory.com/2016/10/28/6-reasons-why-staff-in-long-term-care-facilities-dont-report-incidents-of-elder-abuse-and-neglect/. Accessed November 3, 2017.
International Psychogeriatric Association (IPA). Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia Education Pack. Available at: http://myalzheimersstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IPA_BPSD_Educational_Pack-1998.pdf; 1998. Accessed on November 3, 2017.
Brill S. America's Most Admired Lawbreaker; Chapter 2; in the HuffingtonPost Highline, 2015. Available at: http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/miracleindustry/americas-most-admired-lawbreaker/chapter-2.html. Accessed November 3, 2017.
- Time for change: Persons with dementia and “behavioral expressions,” not “behavior symptoms”.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 768-769
- The Nursing Home Behavior Problem Scale.J Gerontol. 1992; 47: M9-M16
Nursing Home Behavior Problem Scale PDF. Available at: http://myalzheimersstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/B2-Nursing-Home-Behavior-Problem-Scale-NHBPS.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2017.
Macaulay S. Short Survey on Behavior Results. Available at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FM93TXW. Accessed November 3, 2017.
Macaulay S. 15 tips to make Alzheimer dementia shower time successful not stressful. Available at: http://myalzheimersstory.com/2017/04/25/15-tips-to-make-alzheimer-dementia-shower-time-successful-not-stressful/. Accessed November 3, 2017.
Macaulay S. Waging war at Alzheimer bath time. Available at: http://myalzheimersstory.com/2016/04/26/waging-war-at-alzheimers-bath-time/. Accessed November 3, 2017.
- Assaultive behavior in Alzheimer’s disease: Identifying immediate antecedents during bathing.J Gerontol Nurs. 2004; 30: 22-29
- Time for change: The role of nonpharmacological interventions in treating behavior problems in nursing home residents with dementia.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2005; 19: 37-40
- Which unmet needs contribute to behavior problems in persons with advanced dementia?.Psychiatry Res. 2015; 228: 59-64
- Efficacy of nonpharmacologic interventions for agitation in advanced dementia: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial.J Clin Psychiatry. 2012; 73: 1255-1261
- Rethinking psychosis in dementia: An analysis of antecedents and explanations.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2017; 32: 265-271
- Sources of discomfort in persons with dementia.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1378-1379
Dementia Action Alliance. Words Matter: SEE ME Not My Dementia (2015). Available at: https://daanow.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Words_Matter-See-Me-Not-My-Dementia.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2017.
Power A. Medicalization of Feelings: BPSD or BPSOD? Available at: https://changingaging.org/dementia/medicalization-of-feelings-bpsd-or-bpsod/. Accessed November 3, 2017.
The author declares no conflicts of interest.