It is known that the worldwide population is aging, and the number of elderly people is at an all-time high. Elderly people have a high burden of chronic diseases associated with increased risk of hospitalization and death.
1This situation results in the prescription of an excessive number of drugs, which increases the risk of drug interactions and adverse drug reactions.
- Nunes B.P.
- Flores T.R.
- Mielke G.I.
- et al.
Multimorbidity and mortality in older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 67: 130-138
- Gomez Aguirre N.
- Caudevilla Martinez A.
- Bellostas Munoz L.
- et al.
Polypathology, polypharmacy, medication regimen complexity and drug therapy appropriateness.
Rev Clin Esp. 2017; 217: 289-295
- Carroll C.
- Hassanin A.
Polypharmacy in the elderly—When good drugs lead to bad outcomes: A teachable moment.
JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 871
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Multimorbidity and mortality in older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 67: 130-138
- Polypathology, polypharmacy, medication regimen complexity and drug therapy appropriateness.Rev Clin Esp. 2017; 217: 289-295
- Polypharmacy in the elderly—When good drugs lead to bad outcomes: A teachable moment.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 871
- Guidance to manage inappropriate polypharmacy in older people: Systematic review and future developments.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2017; 16: 203-213
- Polypharmacy reduction strategies: Tips on incorporating American Geriatrics Society Beers and Screening Tool of Older People's Prescriptions Criteria.Clin Geriatr Med. 2017; 33: 177-187
- Prevalence and factors associated with polypharmacy in long-term care facilities: A systematic review.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 535.e1-535.e12
- What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 230
- Dietary supplement polypharmacy: An unrecognized public health problem?.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2010; 7: 107-113
- Clinical consequences of polypharmacy in elderly.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2014; 13: 57-65
- Deprescribing: A new goal focused on the patient.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2017; 16: 111-112
© 2017 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.