Understanding the role of muscle strength as a preventive factor for shorter-term declines in function may provide further insights into the disabling process. This study examined if muscle strength was associated with 2-year preservation of instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) function and activities of daily living (ADL) disability status in older Mexican Americans.
Urban and rural households in the Southwestern United States.
A subsample of 672 Mexican Americans aged at least 65 years was followed for 2 years.
Muscle strength was assessed with a hand-held dynamometer. IADL and ADL were self-reported. Covariate-adjusted ordinal and multinomial logistic models were used to determine the association between handgrip strength and changes in IADL function, and ADL disability status over 2 years.
Every 10-kg increase in handgrip strength was associated with 5% decreased odds [odds ratio (OR): 0.95; 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.92, 0.98] of experiencing a lost IADL function in 2 years. Likewise, every 10-kg increase in handgrip strength was associated with an 8% decreased odds (OR: 0.92; CI: 0.88, 0.97) for 2-year onset ADL disability, 12% decreased odds (OR: 0.88; CI: 0.83, 0.94) for 2-year ADL disability progression, and 7% decreased odds (OR: 0.93; CI: 0.89, 0.98) for 2-year ADL disability improvement, compared to those with no ADL disability at baseline and follow-up.
Higher muscle strength was related to a lower risk for 2-year onset of IADL and ADL disability in older Mexican Americans. Future investigations are warranted to examine how potential mediators influence the association between muscle strength and function, to inform interventions aiming to retain function in vulnerable older adult populations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ethnicity-related skeletal muscle differences across the lifespan.Am J Hum Biol. 2010; 22: 76-82
- Impact of nutrition on muscle mass, strength, and performance in older adults.Osteoporosis Int. 2013; 24: 1555-1566
- Muscle weakness is associated with diabetes in older Mexicans: The Mexican Health and Aging Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 933-938
- The association between muscle weakness and incident diabetes in older Mexican Americans.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 452.e7-452.e12
- The association between handgrip strength and diabetes on activities of daily living disability in older Mexican Americans.J Aging Health. 2017 Jun 1; (0898264317715544)
- Associations of walking speed, grip strength, and standing balance with total and cause-specific mortality in a general population of Japanese elders.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 184.e1-184.e7
- Sarcopenia is associated with incident disability, institutionalization, and mortality in community-dwelling older men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 607-613
- Is grip strength a useful single marker of frailty?.Age Ageing. 2003; 32: 650-656
- Age-related variations of muscle mass, strength, and physical performance in community-dwellers: Results from the Milan EXPO Survey.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 88.e17-88.e24
- Activities of Daily Living Evaluation. Encyclopedia of Nursing & Allied Health.Gale Group, Inc: USA, Detroit, MI2002
- Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine.McGraw Hill Professional, New York2010
- Activities of daily living and outcomes in heart failure.Circ Heart Fail. 2015; 8: 261-267
- Diabetes and risk of physical disability in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 106-114
- Transitions between states of disability and independence among older persons.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 161: 575-584
- Nursing home stays and the pace of severe disability onset.Res Aging. 2011; 33: 637-660
- Hand grip strength and incident ADL disability in elderly Mexican Americans over a seven-year period.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2004; 16: 481-486
- Hispanic Established Populations for Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly (EPESE) Frailty Study: 2006-2009.Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), Ann Arbor, MI2016
- Musculoskeletal impairments and physical disablement among the aged.J Gerontol. 1990; 45: M203-M208
- Factors that modify the association between knee pain and mobility limitation in older women: The Women’s Health and Aging Study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2000; 59: 331-337
- Joint impairment and self-reported disability in elderly persons.J Gerontol. 1993; 48: S84-S92
- Muscle weakness and physical disability in older Americans: Longitudinal findings from the US Health and Retirement Study.J Nutr Health Aging. 2017; : 1-7
- The Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly (PASE): Development and evaluation.J Clin Epidemiol. 1993; 46: 153-162
- Sex differences in mortality among older frail Mexican Americans.J Womens Health. 2009; 18: 1647-1651
- Reliability and validity of the SF-36 among older Mexican Americans.Gerontologist. 2004; 44: 418-425
- The association between chronic diseases and depressive symptomatology in older Mexican Americans.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1998; 53: M188-M194
- The FNIH Sarcopenia Project: Rationale, study description, conference recommendations, and final estimates.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 547-558
- Lower extremity function and subsequent disability: Consistency across studies, predictive models, and value of gait speed alone compared with the short physical performance battery.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000; 55: M221-M231
- The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Appl Psych Meas. 1977; 1: 385-401
- SF-36 Health Survey: Manual and Interpretation Guide.Quality Metric Inc, Lincoln, RI2000
- Inference and missing data.Biometrika. 1976; 63: 581-592
- Assessing the impact of potentially influential observations in weighted logistic regression. The Research Data Centres Information and Technical Bulletin.Statistics Canada, 2015 (Available at:)
- Muscle strength, physical activity, and functional limitations in older adults with central obesity.J Aging Res. 2016; 2016: 8387324
- Sex, race and age differences in muscle strength and limitations in community dwelling older adults: Data from the Health and Retirement Survey (HRS).Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 65: 98-103
- Predictors of improvement or decline in instrumental activities of daily living among community-dwelling older Japanese.Gerontology. 2008; 54: 373-380
- Self-rated health predicts decline in instrumental activities of daily living among high-functioning community-dwelling older people.Age Ageing. 2016; 46: 265-270
- Grip strength cutpoints for the identification of clinically relevant weakness.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 559-566
- Muscular grip strength estimates of the US population from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2011–2012.J Strength Cond Res. 2016; 30: 867-874
- Criteria for clinically relevant weakness and low lean mass and their longitudinal association with incident mobility impairment and mortality: The Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) Sarcopenia Project.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 576-583
- Cut points for clinical muscle weakness among older Americans.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: 63-69
- Sarcopenic Obesity: A new category of obesity in the elderly.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 18: 388-395
- Osteosarcopenic obesity: Prevalence and relation with frailty and physical performance in middle-aged and older women.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 733.e1-733.e5
- Muscle strength is protective against osteoporosis in an ethnically diverse sample of adults.J Strength Cond Res. 2017; 31: 2586-2589
- Bending the Aging Curve: The Complete Exercise Guide for Older Adults.Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2011
- Racial/ethnic disparities in the assessment and treatment of pain: Psychosocial perspectives.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 131-141
- Culturally responsive pain management for black older adults.J Gerontol Nurs. 2017 Mar; : 1-8
- Elderly Mexicans have less muscle and greater total and truncal fat compared to African-Americans and Caucasians with the same BMI.J Nutr Health Aging. 2009; 13: 919-923
- Projections of the Size and Composition of the US Population: 2014 to 2060.US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2015: 25-1143
- An Aging Nation: The Older Population in the United States.US Census Bureau, Economics and Statistics Administration, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC2014
Published online: January 19, 2018
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2017 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.