Background and objective
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Home and recreational safety: Important facts about falls. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html. Accessed May 1, 2017.
- EuroSafe. Injuries in the European Union, Summary on Injury Statistics 2012-2014. EuroSafe, Amsterdam2016
- Societal consequences of falls in the older population: Injuries, healthcare costs, and long-term reduced quality of life.J Trauma. 2011; 71: 748-753
- Consequences of falling in older men and women and risk factors for health service use and functional decline.Age Ageing. 2003; 33: 58-65
- Drugs and falls in older people: A systematic review and meta-analysis: II. Cardiac and analgesic drugs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 40-50
- Meta-analysis of the impact of 9 medication classes on falls in elderly persons.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1952-1960
- Risk of falls after withdrawal of fall-risk-increasing drugs: A prospective cohort study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007; 63: 232-237
- Beta-blocker use and fall risk in older individuals: Original results from two studies with meta-analysis.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 83: 2292-2302
- Medication-related fall incidents in an older, ambulant population: The B-PROOF study.Drugs Aging. 2014; 31: 917-927
- Drugs and falls in older people: A systematic review and meta-analysis: I. Psychotropic drugs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 30-39
- Medication as a risk factor for falls: Critical systematic review.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 1172-1181
- [Cost] effectiveness of withdrawal of fall-risk increasing drugs versus conservative treatment in older fallers: Design of a multicenter randomized controlled trial (IMPROveFALL-study).BMC Geriatr. 2011; 11: 48
- Effects of medication reviews performed by a physician on treatment with fracture-preventing and fall-risk-increasing drugs in older adults with hip fracture-a randomized controlled study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 1464-1472
- Software survey: VOSviewer, a computer program for bibliometric mapping.Scientometrics. 2010; 84: 523-538
WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology. ATC. Available at: http://www.whocc.no/atc/structure_and_principles/. Accessed September 1, 2016.
- Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: The prevention of falls network Europe consensus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1618-1622
- Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1701-1707
- The prevention of falls in later life. A report of the Kellogg international work group on the prevention of falls by the elderly.Dan Med Bull. 1987; 34: 1-24
Wells GA, Shea B, Oconnell D, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa scale (NOS) for assessing the quality if nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. Available at: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp. Accessed September 1, 2016.
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available at: www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- Tolerability of antihypertensive medications in older adults.Drugs Aging. 2015; 32: 773-796
- Circulatory and catecholamine changes during head-up tilt testing in neurocardiogenic (vasovagal) syncope.Am J Cardiol. 1994; 73: 33-37
- Relationships between HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statin) use and strength, balance and falls in older people.Intern Med J. 2012; 42: 1329-1334
- Effect of statins on skeletal muscle: Exercise, myopathy, and muscle outcomes.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2012; 40: 188-194
- Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013. 2013; : CD004816
- Impact of white matter lesions on physical functioning and fall risk in older people: A systematic review.Stroke. 2011; 42: 2086-2090
- Prestroke statins, progression of white matter hyperintensities, and cognitive decline in stroke patients with confluent white matter hyperintensities.Neurotherapeutics. 2014; 11: 606-611
- The overlap between syncope and falls in the elderly.Postgrad Med J. 1997; 73: 635-639
- A quality use of medicines program for general practitioners and older people: A cluster randomised controlled trial.Med J Aust. 2007; 187: 23-30
- Psychotropic medication withdrawal and a home-based exercise program to prevent falls: A randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 850-853
- Effectiveness of medication withdrawal in older fallers: Results from the Improving Medication Prescribing to reduce Risk Of FALLs (IMPROveFALL) trial.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 142-146
Max de Vries and Lotta J. Seppala are co–first authors.
Conflicts of interest statement: This work was supported by the Clementine Brigitta Maria Dalderup fund which is an Amsterdam University fund. The sponsor played no part in the design, methods, data collection, analysis, and preparation of this paper. There is no conflict of interest in this regard.