For the nearly two-thirds of adults older than 70 years with hearing loss,
1trying to understand speech in a noisy environment can be difficult and may lead to social withdrawal.
- Lin F.R.
- Niparko J.K.
- Ferrucci L.
Hearing loss prevalence in the United States.
Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1851-1852
- Pichora-Fuller M.K.
How social psychological factors may modulate auditory and cognitive functioning during listening.
Ear Hear. 2016; 37: 92S-100S
3Given the importance of social engagement to healthy aging,
- Lemke U.
- Besser J.
Cognitive load and listening effort: Concepts and age-related considerations.
Ear Hear. 2016; 37: 77S-84S
4enhancing communication for adults is important. The Program for All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) is a comprehensive health care program for adults who are aged ≥55 years, nursing home eligible, and living in the community at the time of enrollment.
- Rowe J.W.
- Kahn R.L.
Successful aging 2.0: Conceptual expansions for the 21st century.
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2015; 70: 593-596
5This setting is ideal for exploring the functional impact of hearing loss on a group of older adults and staff because of the holistic approach to care, which includes meals, social activities, and recreation therapy. The goal of this qualitative study was to evaluate the hearing loss burden and communication needs of participants and staff at the Day Health Center (DHC) in order to develop a meaningful staff training and communication intervention that addressed the group needs—both observed and expressed.
- Mui A.C.
The Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): an innovative long-term care model in the United States.
J Aging Soc Policy. 2001; 13: 53-67
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hearing loss prevalence in the United States.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1851-1852
- How social psychological factors may modulate auditory and cognitive functioning during listening.Ear Hear. 2016; 37: 92S-100S
- Cognitive load and listening effort: Concepts and age-related considerations.Ear Hear. 2016; 37: 77S-84S
- Successful aging 2.0: Conceptual expansions for the 21st century.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2015; 70: 593-596
- The Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): an innovative long-term care model in the United States.J Aging Soc Policy. 2001; 13: 53-67
- Hearing care intervention for persons with dementia: A pilot study.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017; 25: 91-101
Published online: March 08, 2018
© 2018 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.