Design, Setting, and Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Change in body mass index associated with lowest mortality in Denmark, 1976-2013.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1989-1996
- The effect of age on the association between body-mass index and mortality.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 1-7
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European working group on sarcopenia in older people.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Is the relationship between BMI and mortality increasingly U-shaped with advancing age? A 10-year follow-up of persons aged 70-95 years.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010; 65: 526-531
- Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: A systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2013; 309: 71-82
- Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic: Report of a WHO consultation. WHO technical report series 894.World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 2000; 894 (1–253): i-xii
China Ministry of Health. Guidelines for overweight and obesity of Chinese adult prevention and control. 2003.
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines and The Obesity Society.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2985-3023
- Obesity: Identification, Assessment and Management of Overweight and Obesity in Children, Young People and Adults: Partial Update of CG43.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (UK), London2014
- Predictors of mortality in 2,249 nonagenarians—The Danish 1905-Cohort Survey.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 1365-1373
- Body mass index and mortality in the elderly.BMJ. 1986; 292: 867-868
- Body mass index, change in body mass index, and survival in old and very old persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 512-518
- Prevalence of health conditions and predictors of mortality in oldest old Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whites.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 254-259
- Association between body mass index and mortality in an 80-year-old population.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 913-917
- Body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio as predictors of mortality in nonagenarians: The Vitality 90+ Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011; 66: 1244-1250
- Influence of excess weight on mortality and hospital stay in 1346 hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int. 1999; 55: 1560-1567
- Obesity in older people with and without conditions associated with weight loss: Follow-up of 955,000 primary care patients.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017; 72: 203-209
- Weight loss and regain in obese individuals: A link with adipose tissue metabolism indices?.J Physiol Biochem. 2013; 69: 497-505
- Obesity indexes and total mortality among elderly subjects at high cardiovascular risk: The PREDIMED study.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e103246
- Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies.Lancet. 2004; 363: 157-163
- Survival, disabilities in activities of daily living, and physical and cognitive functioning among the oldest-old in China: A cohort study.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1619-1629
- A global partial likelihood estimation in the additive Cox proportional hazards model.J Stat Plan Infer. 2016; 169: 71-87
- A tutorial on propensity score estimation for multiple treatments using generalized boosted models.Stat Med. 2013; 32: 3388-3414
- Body mass index, diabetes, and mortality in French women: Explaining away a "paradox".Epidemiology. 2014; 25: 10-14
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol was inversely associated with 3-year all-cause mortality among Chinese oldest old: Data from the Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 239: 137-142
- The relationship between blood pressure and mortality in the oldest old.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 367-374
- The obesity paradox in the surgical population.Surgeon. 2013; 11: 169-176
- Elevated body mass index predicts for longer overall survival duration in men with metastatic hormone-refractory prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 2434-2435
- Anthropometric indices as predictors of survival in AIDS adults. Aquitaine Cohort, France, 1985-1997. Grouped'Epidémiologie Clinique du Sidaen Aquitaine (GECSA).Eur J Epidemiol. 2000; 16: 633-639
- Paradoxical association between body mass index and in-hospital mortality in elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Japan.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2014; 9: 1337-1346
- Malnutrition in cirrhosis increases morbidity and mortality.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 30: 1507-1513
- The obesity paradox in the elderly: Potential mechanisms and clinical implications.Clin Geriatr Med. 2009; 25: 643-659
- Decreased food intake is a risk factor for mortality in hospitalised patients: The Nutrition Day survey 2006.Clin Nutr. 2009; 28: 484-891
- Sarcopenia and mortality risk in frail older persons aged 80 years and older: Results from ilSIRENTE study.Age Ageing. 2013; 42: 203-209
- Is obesity bad for older persons? A systematic review of the pros and cons of weight reduction in later life.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 302-312
- Concise review: Adipose tissue-derived stromal cells—Basic and clinical implications for novel cell-based therapies.Stem Cells. 2007; 25: 818-827
- The association between obesity and mortality in the elderly differs by serum concentrations of persistent organic pollutants: A possible explanation for the obesity paradox.Int J Obes (Lond). 2012; 36: 1170-1175
This work was supported by National Natural Sciences Foundation of China [grant number 71233001, 71490732 to Y.Z. and 81573247 to X.M.S.], the U.S. National Institute of Aging [grant number 2P01AG031719 to Y.Z.], and a Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Centers grant [grant number 5P30AG028716 from NIA to V.B.K.]. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
Informed consent was obtained from all participants and/or their relatives, and the study was approved by the Ethics Committee of Peking University.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.