Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Trends in obesity among adults in the United States, 2005 to 2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2284-2291
- Midlife obesity and long-term risk of nursing home admission.Obesity. 2006; 14: 1472-1478
- Obesity's effects on the onset of functional impairment among older adults.Gerontologist. 2004; 44: 206-216
- Increasing obesity rates and disability trends.Health Aff (Millwood). 2004; 23: 199-205
- Obesity in nursing homes: An escalating problem.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1386-1391
- Weighing the relevant issues: Obesity in nursing homes.J Aging Soc Policy. 2006; 18: 1-9
- Obesity and pressure ulcers among nursing home residents.Med Care. 2013; 51: 478-486
- Prevalence of moderate to severe obesity among US nursing home residents, 2000–2010.Res Gerontol Nurs. 2015; 8: 173-178
- The impact of obesity on postacute outcomes for skilled nursing facility residents with hip fracture.J Am Geriatr Soc Forthcoming. April 3, 2018;
- Personal care assistance needs of obese elders entering nursing homes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 319-326
- Obesity in patients and nurses increases the nurse's risk of injury lifting patients.Bariatr Nurs Surg Patient Care. 2007; 2: 3-6
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Minimum data set, version 3.0. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/NursingHomeQualityInits/45_NHQIMDS30TrainingMaterials.asp#TopOPage. Published 2010. Accessed September 1, 2018.
- The residential history file: Studying nursing home residents' long-term care histories.Health Serv Res. 2011; 46: 120-137
World Health Organization. Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic. Available at: http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/obesity/WHO_TRS_894/en/. Published 2000. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Scaling ADLs within the MDS.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999; 54: M546-M553
- Functional improvement among short-stay nursing home residents in the MDS 3.0.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 470-474
- The Minimum data set 3.0 cognitive function scale.Med Care. 2015; 55: e68-e72
- Modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- Driven to tiers: Socioeconomic and racial disparities in the quality of nursing home care.Milbank Q. 2004; 82: 227-256
- Obese nursing home residents: A call to research action.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1196-1197
- Additional research on the cost of caring for obese nursing home residents is critical to maintaining adequate resources in the long-term care industry.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2010; 11: 222
- The burden of overweight and obesity on long-term care and Medicaid financing.Med Care. 2014; 52: 658-663
- Barriers to transition of obese patients from hospital to community.Am J Manag Care. 2012; 18: e234-e237
- Nursing home perspectives on the admission of morbidly obese patients from hospitals to nursing homes.J Appl Gerontol. 2016; 35: 286-302
VM holds stock of unknown value in PointRight, Inc, an information services company providing advice and consultation to various components of the long-term care and post-acute care industry, including suppliers and insurers. PointRight sells information on the measurement of nursing home quality to nursing homes and liability insurers. VM was a founder of the company but has subsequently divested much of his equity in the company and relinquished his seat on board. In addition, VM chairs the Independent Quality Committee for HRC Manor Care, Inc, a nursing home chain, for which he receives compensation in the $20,000-40,000-per-year range. VM also serves as chair of a Scientific Advisory Committee for NaviHealth, a post-acute care service organization, for which he also receives compensation in the $20,000-40,000-per-year range. The other authors have no relevant conflicts of interest to disclose.
This work was supported by the National Institute on Aging (Grant P01AG027296 PI: Mor).