Two recent editorials in JAMDA highlighted the increasing health care needs of residents in assisted living (AL) communities. Katz et al addressed the need for more physician presence in AL,
1and Resnick and colleagues recognized that nurses play an important role in AL care.
- Katz P.R.
- Kronhaus A.
- Fuller S.
The role of physicians practicing in assisted living: Time for change.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 102-103
2This letter provides data to suggest the benefit of providing onsite medical care to AL residents.
- Resnick B.
- Allen J.
- McMahon E.
American Assisted Living Nurses Association. The role of physicians practicing in assisted living: What changes do we really need?.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 104-105
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The role of physicians practicing in assisted living: Time for change.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 102-103
- American Assisted Living Nurses Association. The role of physicians practicing in assisted living: What changes do we really need?.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 104-105
- Improving health care for assisted living residents.Gerontologist. 2007; 47: 100-109
- Prevalence and medication management of dementia by a medical practice providing onsite care in assisted living.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 7: 673.e9-673.e15
- Home-based primary care interventions: Systematic review.(Available at:)https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/topics/home-based-care/research-protocol/Date accessed: February 14, 2018
- Independence at home demonstration.(Available at:)http://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/Independence-at-Home/Date accessed: February 14, 2018
- Depression in assisted living is common and related to physical burden.Am J Ger Psychiatry. 2006; 14: 876-883
- Resident characteristics and chronic health conditions in assisted living communities.Seniors Hous Care J. 2014; 22: 82-96
- Depression in assisted living: Results from a four-state study.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2003; 11: 534-542
- Caring for high-need, high-cost patients—an urgent priority.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 909-911
Published online: June 16, 2018
© 2018 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.