Undetected diabetes can be a serious health problem in senior living facilities because uncontrolled elevated blood glucose will lead to future morbidity and increase pressure on health care resources.
- Rodriguez-Sanchez B.
- Angelini V.
- Feenstra T.
- Alessie R.J.
Diabetes-associated factors as predictors of nursing home admission and costs in the elderly across Europe.
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 74-82
2Population-based estimates suggest 1 in 3 adults ≥65 years of age living with diabetes may be undiagnosed.
- Resnick H.E.
- Heineman J.
- Stone R.
- Shorr R.I.
Diabetes in U.S. nursing homes, 2004.
Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 287-288
3Therefore, screening and early detection is important for effective diabetes management in these facilities.
- Menke A.
- Casagrande S.
- Geiss L.
- Cowie C.C.
Prevalence of and trends in diabetes among adults in the United States, 1988-2012.
JAMA. 2015; 314: 1021-1029
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diabetes-associated factors as predictors of nursing home admission and costs in the elderly across Europe.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 74-82
- Diabetes in U.S. nursing homes, 2004.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 287-288
- Prevalence of and trends in diabetes among adults in the United States, 1988-2012.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1021-1029
- Screening for type 1 and type 2 diabetes.Can J Diabetes. 2013; 37: S12-S15
- Development of the CANRISK questionnaire to screen for prediabetes and undiagnosed type 2 diabetes.Can J Diabetes. 2009; 33: 381-385
- The diabetes risk score: A practical tool to predict type 2 diabetes risk.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 725-731
- Recommendations on screening for type 2 diabetes in adults.CMAJ. 2012; 184: 1687-1696
- Feasibility of the FINDRISC questionnaire to identify individuals with impaired glucose tolerance in Swedish primary care. A cross-sectional population-based study.Diabet Med. 2012; 29: 1501-1505
- Piloting the CANRISK tool in Vancouver Coastal Health.Chronic Dis Inj Can. 2011; 32: 12-18
- Limited effectiveness of diabetes risk assessment tools in seniors' facility residents.Value Health. 2017; 20: 329-335
Published online: July 23, 2018
© 2018 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.