The percentage of geriatric hospitalized patients requiring post-acute care increased from 21% in 2000 to 26% in 2015.
1More than 80% of these patients required a skilled nursing facility (SNF) stay. SNFs vary in their ability to provide care, and patients and families are rarely well-enough informed to choose among their options.
- Werner R.M.
- Konetzka R.T.
Trends in post–acute care use among Medicare beneficiaries: 2000 to 2015.
JAMA. 2018; 319: 1616-1617
2Health decisions that are not based on thoughtful and evidence-based rationale not only lead to disparities but also add to the cost of health care.
- Tyler D.A.
- Gadbois E.A.
- McHugh J.P.
- et al.
Patients are not given quality-of-care data about skilled nursing facilities when discharged from hospitals.
Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1385-1391
- Burke R.E.
- Lawrence E.
- Ladebue A.
- et al.
How hospital clinicians select patients for skilled nursing facilities.
J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 2466-2472
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trends in post–acute care use among Medicare beneficiaries: 2000 to 2015.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1616-1617
- Patients are not given quality-of-care data about skilled nursing facilities when discharged from hospitals.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1385-1391
- How hospital clinicians select patients for skilled nursing facilities.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 2466-2472
- Consumers' use of Internet-based nursing home report cards.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009; 35: 316-323
- Associations between published quality ratings of skilled nursing facilities and outcomes of Medicare beneficiaries with heart failure.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 188.e1-188.e6
- Socioeconomic and geographic disparities in accessing nursing homes with high star ratings.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 852-859
- Nurse staffing impact on quality of care in nursing homes: A systematic review of longitudinal studies.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 383-393
- Nurse staffing and quality: The unanswered question.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 376-378
- Accuracy of nursing home medical record information about care-process delivery: Implications for staff management and improvement.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1378-1383
- Falls and nursing home residents with cognitive impairment: New insights into quality measures and interventions.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 819.e1-819.e6
- Driven to tiers: Socioeconomic and racial disparities in the quality of nursing home care.Milbank Q. 2004; 82: 227-256
- Prevalence of serious quality problems remains unacceptably high, despite some decline (Report No. GAO-03-1016T), 2003.(Available at:)http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d031016t.pdfDate accessed: April 15, 2018
- American Medical Directors Association, House of Delegates, 2002. White paper on the survey process.Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7: 120-123
- Nursing home 5-star rating system exacerbates disparities in quality, by payer source.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 819-827
- Beyond the stars: Improving rating predictions using review text content.(Available at:)http://people.dbmi.columbia.edu/noemie/papers/webdb09.pdfDate accessed: May 23, 2018
- Physician practice in post-acute and long-term care: Determining the “value proposition”.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 728-730
- Why pay for performance may be incompatible with quality improvement.BMJ. 2012; 345: e5015
- Effect of a decision aid on access to total knee replacement for black patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: e164225
- Personalizing nursing home compare and the discharge from hospitals to nursing homes.Health Serv Res. 2016; 51: 2076-2094
- More than just location: Helping patients and families select an appropriate skilled nursing facility.Ann Long-term Care. 2014; 22: 30-34
Published online: August 06, 2018
A.N. is a full-time employee of Signature HealthCARE, in the role of Chief Medical Officer. There are no relevant conflicts of interest for this submission.
© 2018 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.