Setting and Participants
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Guidance on the management of pain in older people.Age Ageing. 2013; 42: i1-i57
- Symptom prevalence in the last week of life.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1997; 14: 328-331
- The epidemiology of pain during the last 2 years of life.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153: 563-569
- The use of opioids and sedatives at the end of life.Lancet Oncol. 2003; 4: 312-318
- How people die in hospital general wards: A descriptive study.J Pain Symptom Manag. 2005; 30: 33-40
- Pharmacological management of persistent pain in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 1331-1346
- Pharmacological management of persistent pain in older persons: Focus on opioids and nonopioids.J Pain. 2011; 12: S14-S20
- Ownership, availability, and use of portable syringe drivers among hospices and home-care services.Public Health. 1989; 103: 345-352
- Drugs and syringe drivers: A survey of adult specialist palliative care practice in the United Kingdom and Eire.Palliat Med. 2001; 15: 149-154
- Continuous subcutaneous infusion practices of United States hospices.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2001; 22: 1027-1034
- A randomized double-blind crossover comparison of continuous and intermittent subcutaneous administration of opioid for cancer pain.J Palliat Med. 2008; 11: 570-574
- A review of morphine and morphine-6-glucuronide's pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic relationships in experimental and clinical pain.Eur J Pharm Sci. 2015; 74: 45-62
- Systematic review of factors affecting the ratios of morphine and its major metabolites.Pain. 1998; 74: 43-53
- Pharmacokinetics of morphine, morphine-3-glucuronide and morphine-6-glucuronide in terminally ill adult patients.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016; 55: 697-709
- The pharmacokinetics of morphine and morphine glucuronides in kidney failure.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1993; 54: 158-167
- Plasma morphine and glucuronide (M3G and M6G) concentrations in hospice inpatients.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1997; 14: 157-167
- The excitatory effects of morphine-3-glucuronide are attenuated by LY274614, a competitive NMDA receptor antagonist, and by midazolam, an agonist at the benzodiazepine site on the GABAA receptor complex.Life Sci. 1994; 54: 687-694
- Morphine metabolites.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1997; 41: 116-122
- Evidence that intrathecal morphine-3-glucuronide may cause pain enhancement via toll-like receptor 4/MD-2 and interleukin-1beta.Neuroscience. 2010; 165: 569-583
- The excitatory behavioral and antianalgesic pharmacology of normorphine-3-glucuronide after intracerebroventricular administration to rats.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1998; 285: 1157-1162
- Morphine-3-glucuronide—A potent antagonist of morphine analgesia.Life Sci. 1990; 47: 579-585
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain—United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645
- Opioids in Palliative Care: Safe and Effective Prescribing of Strong Opioids for Pain in Palliative Care of Adults. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence: Guidance.National Collaborating Centre for Cancer, Cardiff UK2012 (Available at:)Accessed February 3, 2018)
- Hospice Palliative Care Symptom Guidelines.2nd ed. Northern Health, Dawson Creek, BC2008 (Available at:)https://www.northernhealth.ca/Portals/0/Your_Health/HCC/Hospice%20Palliative%20Care/NH%20HPC%20Resources/Symptom%20Guidelines%202nd%20Edition.pdf(Accessed February 3, 2018)
- Richtlijn Diagnostiek en Behandeling van Pijn bij Patiënten met Kanker.2016
- Pallialine: Pijn, landelijke richtlijn, versie 2.1 2016.(Available at:)Accessed February 3, 2018)
- Leeftijdsafhankelijke referentiewaarden van de geschatte glomerulaire filtratiesnelheid voor een betere inschatting van de nierfunctie.Ned Tijdsch Klin Chem Labgeneesk. 2008; 33: 48-51
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of oral oxycodone in healthy human subjects: Role of circulating active metabolites.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 79: 461-479
- Medication use during end-of-life care in a palliative care centre.Int J Clin Pharm. 2015; 37: 767-775
- The use of opioids at the end of life: The knowledge level of Dutch physicians as a potential barrier to effective pain management.BMC Palliat Care. 2010; 9: 23
- Nursing home and nursing home physician: The Dutch experience.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2004; 5: 207-212
- Dutch Association of Elderly Care Physicians and Social Geriatricians (Verenso).(Available at:)Accessed February 3, 2018)
Foundation capacity: Institute for Medical and Dental Education. Capacity plan 2016 - Subreport 5: Elderly care physician. Utrecht: 2016.
Pain & Policy Study Group University of Winsconsin/WHO Collaborating Center. Custom consumption graphs for opioid medicines 2018 [February 3, 2018]. Available at: https://ppsg-chart.medicine.wisc.edu/. Accessed February 3, 2018.
- Prevalence and implications of abnormal laboratory results in patients in the terminal phase of life.J Palliat Med. 2016; 19: 822-829
- A systematic review of the use of opioid medication for those with moderate to severe cancer pain and renal impairment: A European palliative care research collaborative opioid guidelines project.Palliat Med. 2011; 25: 525-552
- Renal function and symptoms/adverse effects in opioid-treated patients with cancer.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2015; 59: 1049-1059
- Nursing home physicians' assessments of barriers and strategies for end-of-life care in Norway and the Netherlands.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 713-718
Daisy J.A. Janssen has received speakers fee from Novartis, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, and GlaxoSmithKline. She has received consultancy fee from Mayne Pharma. All other authors have no conflict of interest.
This work was supported by funding from The Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (ZonMw), grant number 844001314, The Hague, The Netherlands, and Envida, Maastricht, the Netherlands.