Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Dementia; Fact sheet.World Health Organization, 2017 (Available at:)http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/dementiaDate accessed: July 12, 2018
- Risk factors for vascular dementia and Alzheimer disease.Stroke. 2004; 35: 2620-2622
- Chronic use of benzodiazepines and latent cognitive decline in the elderly: Results from the Three-city study.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2013; 23: 212-223
- Is benzodiazepine use a risk factor for cognitive decline and dementia? A literature review of epidemiological studies.Psychol Med. 2005; 35: 307-315
- Anticholinergic medication use and cognitive impairment in the older population: The medical research council cognitive function and ageing study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 1477-1483
- Association between benzodiazepine use and dementia: A meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0127836
- Drugs with anticholinergic properties, cognitive decline, and dementia in an elderly general population.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1317
- Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 401
- The cognitive impact of anticholinergics: A clinical review.Clin Interv Aging. 2009; 4: 225-233
- The association between dementia and long-term use of benzodiazepine in the elderly: Nested case-control study using claims data.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009; 17: 614-620
- Prevalence and appropriateness of psychotropic drug use in old age: Results from the Berlin Aging Study (BASE).Int Psychogeriatr. 2004; 16: 461-480
- Anticholinergic drug use and risk for dementia: Target for dementia prevention.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2010; 260: S111-S115
- Nondegenerative mild cognitive impairment in elderly people and use of anticholinergic drugs: Longitudinal cohort study.BMJ. 2006; 332: 455-459
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of incident dementia or cognitive decline: Prospective population-based study.BMJ. 2016; 352: i90
- Effectiveness of a 6-year multidomain vascular care intervention to prevent dementia (preDIVA): A cluster-randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 388: 797-805
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). American Psychiatric Association, 2000
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: Report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group* under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease.Neurology. 1984; 34: 939
- Frontotemporal lobar degeneration: A consensus on clinical diagnostic criteria.Neurology. 1998; 51: 1546-1554
- Consensus guidelines for the clinical and pathologic diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB): Report of the Consortium on DLB International Workshop.J Alzheimers Dis. 2006; 9: 417-423
- Consensus guidelines for the clinical and pathologic diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB): Report of the consortium on DLB international workshop.Neurology. 1996; 47: 1113-1124
- Vascular dementia: Diagnostic criteria for research studies: Report of the NINDS-AIREN International Workshop.Neurology. 1993; 43: 250
- Impact of anticholinergics on the aging brain: A review and practical application.Aging Health. 2008; 4: 311-320
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of developing Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia: A case-control analysis.Drug Safety. 2015; 38: 909-919
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia: Prospective population based study.BMJ. 2012; 345: e6231
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of Alzheimer's disease: Case-control study.BMJ. 2014; 349: g5205
- Anticholinergic drugs and risk of dementia: Case-control study.BMJ. 2018; 361: k1315
- Risk of dementia among elderly nursing home patients using paroxetine and other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.Psychiatr Serv. 2015; 66: 1333-1340
- Cardiovascular risk management in community-dwelling elderly: Opportunities for prevention.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2012; 19: 1365-1372
The preDIVA trial was supported by the Dutch Ministry of Health,Welfare and Sport (grant number 50-50110-98-020), the Dutch Innovation Fund of Collaborative Health Insurances (grant number 05-234), and the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (grant number 62000015).
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
February 2020 Issue
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown; Recorded: March 2, 2020.