To investigate the current evidence on the use of point-of-care chest ultrasonography in older patients and geriatric settings and present the current state of the art of chest ultrasound applications.
Special article based on a literature review with narrative analyses and expert clinical knowledge.
Setting and participants
All studies performed in a geriatric setting were included. Observational and intervention studies and meta-analyses including participants aged ≥70 years were also considered, even if not specifically focused on a geriatric setting.
Data on participant characteristics, diagnostic accuracy of chest ultrasonography, and outcomes were collected for each considered study. Data were analyzed and discussed with a particular focus on the possible applications and advantages of chest ultrasonography in geriatric medicine, underlining the possible areas of future research.
We found only 5 studies on the diagnostic accuracy and prognostic relevance of chest ultrasonography in geriatrics. However, several studies performed in emergency departments, intensive care units, and internal medicine wards included a large number of participants ≥70 years old; they suggest that chest ultrasonography may represent a valid aid to the diagnostics of acute dyspnea, pneumonia, acute heart failure, pneumothorax, and pleural diseases, with an accuracy in some cases superior to standard x-rays, especially when mobility limitation is present. Diaphragm ultrasonography may also represent a valid tool to guide mechanical ventilation weaning in older patients with acute respiratory failure.
Conclusions and implications
Chest ultrasonography may represent a valid bedside diagnostic aid to the management of acute respiratory diseases in older patients. However, specific evidence is lacking for geriatric patients. Future research will need to focus on defining the reference standards and the diagnostic accuracy for older patients with frailty and multimorbidity, cost-efficacy and cost-effectiveness of the technique, its impact for clinical outcomes, and role for follow-up in the post-acute care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 35: 577-591
- Thoracic ultrasonography for the pulmonary specialist.Chest. 2011; 140: 1332-1341
- The role of chest ultrasonography in the management of respiratory diseases: Document I.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2013; 8: 54
- Lung ultrasound and chest x-ray for detecting pneumonia in an acute geriatric ward.Medicine. 2016; 95: e4153
- Utility and potential of bedside ultrasound in palliative care.Indian J Palliat Care. 2015; 21: 132-136
- Diagnostic performance of multi-organ ultrasound with pocket-sized device in the management of acute dyspnea.Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2017; 15: 16
- Standard and pocket-size lung ultrasound devices can detect interstitial lung disease in rheumatoid arthritis patients.Rheumatology. 2014; 53: 1497-1503
- Point of care ultrasound in geriatric patients: Prospective evaluation of a portable handheld ultrasound device.Ultraschall Med. 2019 Apr 26; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Reproducibility and clinical correlates of supine diaphragmatic motion measured by M-mode ultrasonography in healthy volunteers.Respiration. 2018; 96: 259-266
- Diagnostic chest ultrasound for acute respiratory failure.Respir Med. 2018; 141: 26-36
- Lung B-line artifacts and their use.J Thorac Dis. 2016; 8: 1356-1365
- The role of lung ultrasound in the diagnosis and follow-up of community-acquired pneumonia.Eur J Intern Med. 2012; 23: 391-397
- Lung ultrasound in internal medicine: Training and clinical practice.Crit Ultrasound J. 2016; 8: 10
- Ultrasonographic identification and semiquantitative assessment of unloculated pleural effusions in critically ill patients by residents after a focused training.Intensive Care Med. 2014; 40: 1475-1480
- Feasibility and accuracy of point-of-care pocket-size ultrasonography performed by medical students.BMC Med Educ. 2014; 14: 156
- Lung ultrasound for the emergency diagnosis of pneumonia, acute heart failure, and exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/asthma in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Emerg Med. 2019; 56: 53-69
- Is thoracic ultrasound a viable alternative to conventional imaging in a critical care setting?.Br J Anesthesia. 2013; 111: 152-160
- Lung ultrasound-implemented diagnosis of acute decompensated heart failure in the ED. A SIMEU multicenter study.Chest. 2015; 148: 202-210
- Lung ultrasound in internal medicine: A bedside help to increase accuracy in the diagnosis of dyspnea.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; 46: 61-65
- Which method is best for an early accurate diagnosis of acute heart failure? Comparison between lung ultrasound, chest X-ray and NT pro-BNP performance: A prospective study.Intern Emerg Med. 2017; 12: 861-869
- Point-of-care ultrasonography in patients admitted with respiratory symptoms: A single-blind, randomized controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2014; 2: 638-646
- Ten good reasons to practice ultrasound in the critical care.Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther. 2014; 46: 323-335
- Lung ultrasound in critically ill patients: Comparison with bedside chest radiography.Intensive Care Med. 2011; 37: 1488-1493
- Critical care ultrasonography differentiates ARDS, pulmonary edema, and other causes in the early course of acute hypoxemic respiratory failure.Chest. 2015; 148: 912-918
- Diagnostic value of cardiopulmonary ultrasound in elderly patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome.BMC Pulm Med. 2018; 18: 136
- BLUE-protocol and FALLS protocol: Two applications of lung ultrasound in the critically ill.Chest. 2015; 147: 1659-1670
- Lung ultrasound in diagnosing pneumonia in the emergency department: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Emerg Med. 2018; 25: 312-321
- Accuracy of lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of consolidations when compared to chest computed tomography.Am J Emerg Med. 2015; 33: 620-625
- High discordance of chest X-ray and computed tomography for detection of pulmonary opacities in ED patients: Implications for diagnosing pneumonia.Am J Emerg Med. 2013; 31: 401-405
- Lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of pneumonia in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Respir Res. 2014; 15: 50
- Diagnostic performance of lung ultrasound in the diagnosis of pneumonia: A bivariate meta-analysis.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2014; 7: 115-121
- Accuracy of lung ultrasonography versus chest radiography for the diagnosis of adult community-acquired pneumonia: Review of the literature and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 10: e0130066
- Lung ultrasound in the diagnosis and follow-up of community-acquired pneumonia: A prospective, multicenter, diagnostic accuracy study.Chest. 2012; 142: 965-972
- Clinical application of transthoracic ultrasonography in inpatients with pneumonia.Eur J Clin Invest. 2011; 41: 1-7
- Lung ultrasound and short-term prognosis in heart failure patients.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 218: 104-108
- Lung ultrasound in internal medicine efficiently drives the management of patients with heart failure and speeds up the discharge time.Intern Emerg Med. 2018; 13: 27-33
- Ultrasound of extravascular lung water: A new standard for pulmonary congestion.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2097-2104
- Lung congestion as a risk factor in end-stage renal disease.Blood Purif. 2013; 36: 184-191
- Pleural ultrasonography versus chest radiography for the diagnosis of pneumothorax: Review of the literature and meta-analysis.Crit Care. 2013; 17: R208
- Ultrasound diagnosis of occult pneumothorax.Crit Care Med. 2005; 33: 1231-1238
- Semi-quantification of pneumothorax volume by lung ultrasound.Intensive Care Med. 2014; 40: 1460-1467
- Investigation of a unilateral pleural effusion in adults: British Thoracic Society pleural disease guideline 2010.Thorax. 2010; 65: ii4-ii17
- Validation of equations for pleural effusion volume estimation by ultrasonography.J Ultrasound. 2017; 20: 267-271
- Ultrasound estimation of volume of pleural fluid in mechanically ventilated patients.Intensive Care Med. 2006; 32: 318-321
- Multiplane ultrasound approach to quantify pleural effusion at the bedside.Intensive Care Med. 2010; 36: 656-664
- The accuracy of pleural ultrasonography in diagnosing complicated parapneumonic pleural effusions.Thorax. 2017; 72: 94-95
- Chest ultrasonography in health surveillance of asbestos related pleural disease.Lung Cancer. 2017; 111: 139-142
- Chest ultrasonography in health surveillance of asbestos-related lung diseases.Toxicol Ind Health. 2017; 33: 537-546
- Diagnostic accuracy of lung ultrasound for pulmonary embolism: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Thromb Hemost. 2013; 11: 1269-1278
- Ultrasound assessment of pulmonary embolism in patients receiving CT pulmonary angiography.Chest. 2014; 145: 818-823
- Reproducibility of diaphragmatic thickness measured by M-mode ultrasonography in healthy volunteers.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2019; 260: 58-62
- Using M-mode ultrasonography to assess diaphragm dysfunction and predict the success of mechanical ventilation weaning in elderly patients.J Thorac Dis. 2017; 9: 3177-3186
- Ultrasound evaluation of diaphragm function in mechanically ventilated patients: Comparison to phrenic stimulation and prognostic implications.Thorax. 2017; 72: 811-818
- Ultrasound-assessed diaphragmatic impairment is a predictor of outcomes in patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease undergoing noninvasive ventilation.Crit Care. 2018; 22: 109
- Rapid systematic review: Age-adjusted d-dimer for ruling out pulmonary embolism.J Emerg Med. 2018; 55: 586-592
- Aging airways: Between normal and disease. A multidimensional diagnostic approach by combining clinical, functional, and imaging data.Aging Dis. 2017; 8: 471-485
- Aging and the respiratory system.Radiol Clin N Am. 2008; 46: 685-702
- Lung morphology in the elderly: Comparative CT study of subjects over 75 years old versus those under 55 years old.Radiology. 2009; 251: 566-573
- Patients admitted to hospital with suspected pneumonia and normal chest radiographs: Epidemiology, microbiology, and outcomes.Am J Med. 2004; 117: 305-311
- Implementation of lung ultrasound in polyvalent intensive care unit: Impact on irradiation and medical cost.Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2015; 34: 41-44
- Accuracy of lung ultrasound in patients with acute dyspnea: The influence of age, multimorbidity and cognitive and motor impairment.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017; 43: 1846-1852
Published online: August 06, 2019
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2019 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.