Conclusions and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- The incidence and costs of inpatient falls in hospitals.(Available at:)https://improvement.nhs.uk/documents/1471/Falls_report_July2017.v2.pdfDate: 2017Date accessed: January 11, 2019
- Falls in English and Welsh hospitals: A national observational study based on retrospective analysis of 12 months of patient safety incident reports.Qual Saf Health Care. 2008; 17: 424-430
- Falls and consequent injuries in hospitalized patients: Effects of an interdisciplinary falls prevention program.BMC Health Serv Res. 2006; 6: 69
- Circumstances and consequences of falls in community-dwelling older women.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2007; 16: 1437-1446
- Preventing falls and fall-related injuries in hospitals.Clin Geriatr Med. 2010; 26: 645-692
- Inpatient fall prevention programs as a patient safety strategy: A systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 390-396
- Seasonal ambient changes influence inpatient falls.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 513-517
- Falls risk factors in the hospital setting: A systematic review.Int J Nurs Pract. 2001; 7: 38-45
- Circadian and wakefulness-sleep modulation of cognition in humans.Front Mol Neurosci. 2012; 5: 50
- Mechanisms linking circadian clocks, sleep, and neurodegeneration.Science. 2016; 354: 1004-1008
- Management of insomnia in hospitalized patients.Ann Intern Med. 1984; 100: 398-404
- Delirium in elderly people.Lancet. 2014; 383: 911-922
- Melatonin in humans.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 186-195
- Diminished melatonin secretion in the elderly caused by insufficient environmental illumination.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 129-134
- Effect of bright light and melatonin on cognitive and noncognitive function in elderly residents of group care facilities: A randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2008; 299: 2642-2655
- Bright light treatment in elderly patients with nonseasonal major depressive disorder: A randomized placebo-controlled trial.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011; 68: 61-70
- Decreased daytime light intensity at nonwindow hospital beds: Comparisons with light intensity at window hospital beds and light exposure in nonhospitalized elderly individuals.Chronobiol Int. 2018; 35: 719-723
- Criteria for evaluating the degree of independence of disabled elderly persons in performing activities of daily living, Tokyo, Japan, Ministry Secretariat of Health and Welfare for the Elderly Bureau.1991 ([in Japanese])
- Comparisons of interventions for preventing falls in older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1687-1699
- Risk of fractures following cataract surgery in Medicare beneficiaries.JAMA. 2012; 308: 493-501
- The role of environmental light in sleep and health: Effects of ocular aging and cataract surgery.Sleep Med Rev. 2010; 14: 269-280
- Bright light induction of strong (type 0) resetting of the human circadian pacemaker.Science. 1989; 244: 1328-1333
- Impact of windows and daylight exposure on overall health and sleep quality of office workers: A case-control pilot study.J Clin Sleep Med. 2014; 10: 603-611
- Preventive effects of ramelteon on delirium: A randomized placebo-controlled trial.JAMA Psychiatry. 2014; 71: 397-403
- Bright light exposure during the daytime affects circadian rhythms of urinary melatonin and salivary immunoglobulin A.Chronobiol Int. 1999; 16: 359-371
- Repeated exposures to daytime bright light increase nocturnal melatonin rise and maintain circadian phase in young subjects under fixed sleep schedule.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006; 291: 1799-1807
- Positive effect of daylight exposure on nocturnal urinary melatonin excretion in the elderly: A cross-sectional analysis of the HEIJO-KYO study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: 4166-4173
- Association between melatonin secretion and nocturia in elderly individuals: A cross-sectional study of the HEIJO-KYO cohort.J Urol. 2014; 191: 1816-1821
- Physiological levels of melatonin relate to cognitive function and depressive symptoms: The HEIJO-KYO cohort.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100: 3090-3096
J.I. and K.O. contributed equally to this work.
This work was supported by research funding from JSPS KAKENHI (grant no.: 15K08827).
K.O. and K.S. received research grants from YKK AP Inc; Ushio Inc; Tokyo Electric Power Company; EnviroLife Research Institute Co, Ltd; Sekisui Chemical Co, Ltd; LIXIL Corp; and Kyocera Corp. The other authors declare no conflicts of interest.