Cognitive impairment, because of its long-term and devastating toll on individuals, families, and the health care system, has appropriately received much emphasis in practice, policy, advocacy, education, and research circles.
- Kaiser J.
The Alzheimer's gamble: NIH tries to turn billions in new funding into treatment for deadly brain disease. Brain & Behavior, Funding, Science, and Policy. August 30, 2018.
- Gell N.M.
- Wallace R.B.
- LaCroix A.Z.
- et al.
Mobility device use in older adults and incidence of falls and worry about falling: Findings from the 2011-2012 national health and aging trends study.
J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 853-859
3At the same time, lower extremity impairment as a cause of disability and health care resource use has been growing without fanfare, yet it too has devasting consequences. This editorial is a call for public awareness about this issue.
2016 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.
2016 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.
Alzheimers Dement. 2016; 12: 459-509
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Alzheimer's gamble: NIH tries to turn billions in new funding into treatment for deadly brain disease. Brain & Behavior, Funding, Science, and Policy. August 30, 2018.(Available at:)https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/08/alzheimer-s-gamble-nih-tries-turn-billions-new-funding-treatment-deadly-brain-diseaseDate accessed: August 15, 2019
- Mobility device use in older adults and incidence of falls and worry about falling: Findings from the 2011-2012 national health and aging trends study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 853-859
- 2016 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.Alzheimers Dement. 2016; 12: 459-509
- National Health and Aging Trends Study data, analyzed by the Program on Aging, Disability and Long-Term Care at the Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.(Available at:)Accessed July 20, 2019)
- Residential care communities and their residents in 2010: A national portrait.(DHHS Publication No. 2016-1041) National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2016
- MDS Frequency Report: Fourth Quarter 2017.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Computer-Data-and-Systems/Minimum-Data-Set-3-0-Public-Reports/Minimum-Data-Set-3-0-Frequency-Report.htmlDate accessed: August 16, 2019
- Medicare SNF PPS rate calculator.(Available at:)https://www.ahcancal.org/research_data/funding/Pages/MedicareRateCalculator.aspxDate accessed: August 15, 2019
- Persistent mobility deficit in the absence of deficits in activities of daily living: A risk factor for mortality.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1539-1543
- Age-specific and sex-specific prevalence and incidence of mild cognitive impairment, dementia, and Alzheimer dementia in blacks and whites: A report from the Einstein Aging Study.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2012; 26: 335-343
- The public health impact of Alzheimer's disease, 2000-2050: Potential implication of treatment advances.Annu Rev Public Health. 2002; 23: 213-231
- Progressive versus catastrophic loss of the ability to walk: Implications for the prevention of mobility loss.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 1463-1470
- Pedometer-measured physical activity and health behaviors in U.S. adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 1819-1825
- Lifestyle risk factors predict disability and death in healthy aging adults.Am J Med. 2012; 125: 190-197
- Chronic exercise preserves lean muscle mass in masters athletes.Phys Sportsmed. 2011; 39: 172-178
- Understanding and addressing muscle strength, mass, and function in older persons.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20: 1-4
- Is quadriceps muscle weakness a risk factor for incident or progressive knee osteoarthritis?.Phys Sportsmed. 2011; 39: 44-50
- Coexistence of chronic musculoskeletal pain and depressive symptoms and their combined and individual effects on onset of disability in older adults: A cohort study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20
- Association Between Muscular Strength and Mortality in Clinical Populations: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20
- Assistive devices and technologies.(Available at:)https://www.who.int/disabilities/technology/en/Date accessed: August 13, 2019
- The impact of mobility scooters on their users. Does their usage help or hinder?: A state of the art review.J Transp Health. 2015; 2: 269-275
- Opinion: Learned helplessness in the elderly: Stop fostering frailty.Geriatrics. 2009; 64: 6-7
- The mobility scooter plague. The Spectator, April 11, 2015.(Available at:)https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/the-mobility-scooter-plague/Date accessed: August 13, 2019
- Effect of motorized scooters on physical performance and mobility: A randomized clinical trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 279-286
- Understanding the obesity epidemic.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4409
- Obesity and physical activity.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2011; 34: 829-840
- Variation in the prevalence of sarcopenia and sarcopenic obesity in older adults associated with different research definitions: Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2004.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 974-980
- Association of sarcopenic obesity with the risk of all-cause mortality among adults over a broad range of different settings: A updated meta-analysis.BMC Geriatr. 2019; 19: 183
- Adult obesity rates rise in 6 states, exceed 35% in 7.American Medical Association News, November 26, 2018, 2018 (Available at:)https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/adult-obesity-rates-rise-6-states-exceed-35-7Date accessed: August 15, 2019
- Gender differences in trajectories of lower extremity function in older adults: Findings from the International Mobility in Aging Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20
- Silver Sneakers.(Available at:)https://www.silversneakers.com/Date accessed: August 20, 2019
- Baby Boomer Retirement.(Available at:)https://www.baby-boomer-retirement.com/2018/02/weight-watchers-freestyle-for-senior.htmlDate accessed: August 20, 2019
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2019 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
October 23, 2019
October 2019 Issue
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane; Recorded: October 14, 2019.