Design, setting, and participants
Conclusions and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Usage of benzodiazepines: A review.Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 2010; 14: 78-87
- Characteristics associated with benzodiazepine usage in elderly outpatients in Taiwan.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2008; 23: 618-624
- The acute cognitive effects of zopiclone, zolpidem, zaleplon, and eszopiclone: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2014; 36: 691-700
- Loss of functional GABA(A) receptors in the Alzheimer diseased brain.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012; 109: 10071-10076
- CNS medications as predictors of precipitous cognitive decline in the cognitively disabled aged: A longitudinal population-based study.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord Extra. 2012; 2: 57-68
- Diazepam therapy and CYP2C19 genotype.in: Pratt V. McLeod H. Rubinstein W. Medical Genetics Summaries. National Center for Biotechnology Information (US), Bethesda (MD)2012
- The CYP2C19 enzyme polymorphism.Pharmacology. 2000; 61: 174-183
- Diazepam metabolism in native Chinese poor and extensive hydroxylators of S-mephenytoin: Interethnic differences in comparison with white subjects.Clin Pharmacol Therapeut. 1990; 48: 496-502
- Association between development of dementia and use of benzodiazepines: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 38: 1010-1020
- Regular benzodiazepine and Z-substance use and risk of dementia: An analysis of German claims data.JAD. 2016; 54: 801-808
- PTSD, psychotropic medication use, and the risk of dementia among US veterans: A retrospective cohort study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 1043-1050
- Effect of benzodiazepine discontinuation on dementia risk.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011; 19: 151-159
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia: Prospective population based study.BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2012; 345: e6231
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of Alzheimer's disease: Case-control study.BMJ (clinical research ed.). 2014; 349: g5205
- Benzodiazepine, psychotropic medication, and dementia: A population-based cohort study.Alzheimer Dement. 2016; 12: 604-613
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of developing Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia: A case-control analysis.Drug Safety. 2015; 38: 909-919
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of developing Alzheimer's disease: A case-control study based on Swiss claims data.CNS Drugs. 2017; 31: 245-251
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of incident dementia or cognitive decline: Prospective population based study.BMJ (clinical research ed). 2016; 352: i90
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia: Evidence from the Caerphilly Prospective Study (CaPS).J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2012; 66: 869-873
- Overlapping medication associated with healthcare switching among Korean elderly diabetic patients.J Korean Med Sci. 2011; 26: 1461-1468
- Retrospective drugs utilization review study for chronic kidney disease using national health insurance database.Yakhak Hoeji. 2009; 53: 138-144
- Report of the evaluation for validity of discharged diagnoses in Korean Health Insurance database.Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, 2017
- Prescription patterns of benzodiazepine for outpatients in a psychiatric department in Korea.Anxiety Mood. 2015; 11: 143-148
- Drug treatment for anxiety.Aust Prescriber. 2013; 36: 186-189
- Anticholinergic drugs and risk of dementia: Case-control study.BMJ (clinical research ed). 2018; 361: k1315
- Metformin and the risk of cancer: Time-related biases in observational studies.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 2665-2673
- Impact of informative censoring on the Kaplan-Meier estimate of progression-free survival in phase II clinical trials.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3068-3074
- Reducing bias in a propensity score matched-pair sample using greedy matching techniques 2001.Proceedings of the twenty-sixth Annual SAS® users group international conference. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC2001: 214-216
- Dementia and cerebrovascular disease.Mayo Clin Proc. 2006; 81: 223-230
- Long-term benzodiazepine use and cognitive decline in the elderly: The Epidemiology of Vascular Aging Study.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002; 22: 285-293
- The risk of cognitive impairment in older community-dwelling women after benzodiazepine use.Age Ageing. 2009; 38: 226-228
- The association between dementia and long-term use of benzodiazepine in the elderly: Nested case-control study using claims data.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009; 17: 614-620
- Benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia: A nested case-control study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 314-318
- Is benzodiazepine use a risk factor for cognitive decline and dementia? A literature review of epidemiological studies.Psychol Med. 2005; 35: 307-315
- History of nenzodiazepine prescriptions and risk of dementia: Possible bias due to prevalent users and covariate measurement timing in a nested case-control study.Am J Epidemiol. 2019; 188: 1228-1236
- Korean medication algorithm project for generalized anxiety disorder 2009 (II): Medication algorithm and long-term medication treatment strategy.J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc. 2010; 49: 553-563
- Coexisting depression and anxiety: Special diagnostic and treatment issues.J Clin Psychiatry. 1991; 52: 48-54
- Cumulative antidepressant use and risk of dementia in a prospective cohort study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 1948-1955
- Depression and risk of developing dementia.Nat Rev Neurol. 2011; 7: 323-331
- Benzodiazepine use in older adults: Dangers, management, and alternative therapies.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 1632-1639
- Potentially inappropriate prescribing in people with dementia: An Australian population-based study.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; (2019;34:1498-1505.)
- Immeasurable time bias in observational studies of drug effects on mortality.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 168: 329-335
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms in the prodromal stages of dementia.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2014; 27: 230-235
This research was supported by a grant of the Korean Health Technology R&D Project through the Korea Health Industry Development Institute (KHIDI), funded by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, Republic of Korea (Grant number: NHCR-HC17C0020). This study was conducted independently of the funder.
This study was approved by the institutional review board of Sungkyunkwan University (No. 2017-08-008), which waived the informed consent, as only de-identified data were used in this study.
The findings of this study were presented at the 2018 Fall International Convention of The Pharmaceutical Society of Korea in Jeju Island, South Korea, on October 19, 2018.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
Y.-H.B. and H.L. contributed equally to this work as co-first authors.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
February 2020 Issue
Featuring Dr. Philip Sloane, Dr. Mallory Brown; Recorded: March 2, 2020.