Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- American Geriatrics Society 2019 Updated AGS Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 674-694
- STOPP/START criteria for potentially inappropriate prescribing in older people: Version 2.Age Ageing. 2015; 44: 213-218
- Guideline watch (October 2014): Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.(Available at:)https://psychiatryonline.org/pb/assets/raw/sitewide/practice_guidelines/guidelines/alzheimerwatch.pdfDate accessed: March 29, 2019
- Deprescribing antipsychotics for behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia and insomnia: Evidence-based clinical practice guideline.Can Fam Physician. 2018; 64: 17-27
- Toolkit: When psychosis isn’t the diagnosis.(Available at:)https://choosingwiselycanada.org/perspective/antipsychotics-toolkit/Date accessed: April 2, 2019
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Dementia: Assessment, management and support for people living with dementia and their carers. Available at: nice.org.uk/guidance/ng97. Accessed March 29, 2019.
- Reducing excessive use of antipsychotic agents in nursing homes.JAMA. 2017; 318: 118-119
- Antipsychotic use in dementia.Can J Psychiatry. 2017; 62: 170-181
- Efforts to reduce antipsychotic use in dementia care are starting to bear fruit, but a lot of work remains to be done.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 204-206
- Antipsychotic prescribing in care homes before and after launch of a national dementia strategy: An observational study in English institutions over a 4-year period.BMJ Open. 2016; 6: e009882
- Étude sur l’usage des antipsychotiques. Volet III: Personnes âgées de 25 ans ou plus, principalement celles de 65 ans ou plus avec un diagnostic de démence. Institut national d’excellence en santé et en services sociaux. 2012;8:1-70.(Available at:)https://www.inesss.qc.ca/fileadmin/doc/INESSS/Rapports/Medicaments/ETMIS2012_Vol8_No11.pdfDate accessed: May 1, 2019
- Appropriate use of antipsychotics.(Available at:)www.cfhi-fcass.ca/WhatWeDo/appropriate-use-of-antipsychoticsDate accessed: April 18, 2019
- Usage optimal des antipsychotiques et la prise en charge non pharmacologique des symptômes comportementaux et psychologiques de la démence chez les personnes atteintes de troubles neurocognitifs majeurs qui résident en centre d’hébergement et de soins de longue durée.(Available at:)www.inesss.qc.ca/fileadmin/doc/INESSS/Rapports/Medicaments/INESSS-Avis_antipsychotiques.pdfDate accessed: April 2, 2019
- Interventions to reduce inappropriate prescribing of antipsychotic medications in people with dementia resident in care homes: A systematic review.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 706-718
- Approaches to deprescribing psychotropic medications for changed behaviours in long-term care residents living with dementia.Drugs Aging. 2019; 36: 125-136
- A description of agitation in a nursing home.J Gerontol. 1989; 44: M77-M84
- The Neuropsychiatric Inventory: Comprehensive assessment of psychopathology in dementia.Neurology. 1994; 44: 2308-2314
- Relapse risk after discontinuation of risperidone in Alzheimer’s disease.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1497-1507
- The use of confidence or fiducial limits illustrated in the case of the binomial.Biometrika. 1934; 26: 404-413
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.(Available at:)www.R-project.org/Date accessed: March 16, 2019
- Developmental evaluation: Building innovations in complex environments.Health Promot Pract. 2011; 12: 645-650
- What makes a sustainability tool valuable, practical and useful in real-world healthcare practice? A mixed-methods study on the development of the Long Term Success Tool in Northwest London.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e014417
- Withdrawal versus continuation of long-term antipsychotic drug use for behavioural and psychological symptoms in older people with dementia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 3: CD007726
- Antipsychotic deprescription for older adults in long-term care: The HALT Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 592-600.e7
- Antipsychotics and dementia in Canada: A retrospective cross-sectional study of four health sectors.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 244
- Association of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care With the Use of Antipsychotics and Other Psychotropics in Long-term Care in the United States From 2009 to 2014.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 640-647
- The dementia antipsychotic withdrawal trial (DART-AD): Long-term follow-up of a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 151-157
- Predictive validity of neuropsychiatric subgroups on nursing home placement and survival in patients with Alzheimer disease.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007; 15: 314-327
- Critical contextual elements in facilitating and achieving success with a person-centred care intervention to support antipsychotic deprescribing for older people in long-term care.Biomed Res Int. 2018; 2018: 7148515
- Developmental evaluation as a strategy to enhance the uptake and use of deprescribing guidelines: Protocol for a multiple case study.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 91
This work was funded by the Ministry of Health and Social Services of the province of Québec, and the Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement (CFHI). Funding to complete the analysis of the results was provided by the Centre for Aging and Brain Health Innovation (CABHI).
The authors declare no conflict of interest.