It is well understood that “resilience,” or the ability to adapt in the face of trauma or significant sources of stress,
1is an important component of healthy aging.
American Psychological Association, 2019
The road to resilience.
The road to resilience.
2However, what about the ability to compromise or adjust to minor fluctuations in daily life? “Flexibility,” also known as “adaptability,” can be defined as a willingness or ability to compromise or change. Research supports the importance of flexibility for school and work success,
- Friedman S.M.
- Mulhausen P.
- Cleveland M.L.
- et al.
Healthy aging: American Geriatrics Society white paper executive summary.
J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 17-20
- Martin A.J.
- Nejad H.G.
- Colmar S.
- Liem G.A.D.
Adaptability: How students responses to uncertainty and novelty predict their academic and nonacademic outcomes.
J Educ Psychol. 2013; 105: 728-746
4but its relevance may extend beyond these realms.
- Oprins E.A.P.B.
- van den Bosch K.
- Venrooij W.
Measuring adaptability demands of jobs and the adaptability of military and civilians.
Mil Psychol. 2018; 30: 576-589
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The road to resilience.(Available at:)
- Healthy aging: American Geriatrics Society white paper executive summary.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 17-20
- Adaptability: How students responses to uncertainty and novelty predict their academic and nonacademic outcomes.J Educ Psychol. 2013; 105: 728-746
- Measuring adaptability demands of jobs and the adaptability of military and civilians.Mil Psychol. 2018; 30: 576-589
- “Healthy Aging” concepts and measures.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 460-464
- Personality plasticity, healthy aging, and interventions.Dev Psychol. 2014; 50: 1470-1474
© 2019 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.