Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- A systematic review of the outcomes of osteoporotic fracture patients after hospital discharge: Morbidity, subsequent fractures, and mortality.Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2014; 10: 937-948
- Incidence of subsequent fractures in the UK between 1990 and 2012 among individuals 50 years or older.Osteoporos Int. 2018; 29: 2469-2475
- The risk of major and any (nonhip) fragility fracture after hip fracture in the United Kingdom: 2000‒2010.Osteoporos Int. 2014; 25: 2555-2563
- Mortality risk associated with low-trauma osteoporotic fracture and subsequent fracture in men and women.JAMA. 2009; 301: 513-521
- Incidence and mortality of hip fractures in the United States.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1573-1579
- Compound risk of high mortality following osteoporotic fracture and refracture in elderly women and men.J Bone Miner Res. 2013; 28: 2317-2324
- Mortality in British hip fracture patients, 2000-2010: A population-based retrospective cohort study.Bone. 2014; 66: 171-177
- Risedronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; 1: CD004523
- Can bisphosphonates prevent recurrent fragility fractures? A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 384-390.e1
- Potential mediators of the mortality reduction with zoledronic acid after hip fracture.J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 91-97
- Bisphosphonates may retrieve endothelial function in vascular diseases similar to statins' effects.Eur J Haematol. 2008; 81: 77-78
- Effects of bisphosphonates on lipid metabolism.Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2008; 29: 252-255
- Bisphosphonates for cardiovascular risk reduction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Atherosclerosis. 2016; 252: 106-115
- Assessment of mortality in patients enrolled in a risedronate clinical trial program: A retrospective cohort study.Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002; 35: 320-326
- Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1799-1809
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1809-1822
- Overdiagnosis of bone fragility in the quest to prevent hip fracture.BMJ. 2015; 350 (h2088)
- Data resource profile: Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD).Int J Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 827-836
- The use of a large pharmacoepidemiological database to study exposure to oral corticosteroids and risk of fractures: Validation of study population and results.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2000; 9: 359-366
- Effect of osteoporosis treatment on mortality: A meta-analysis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 1174-1181
- Association between drug treatments for patients with osteoporosis and overall mortality rates: A meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1491-1500
- Reduced mortality and subsequent fracture risk associated with oral bisphosphonate recommendation in a fracture liaison service setting: A prospective cohort study.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0198006
- Analysis of the association between bisphosphonate treatment survival in Danish hip fracture patients-a nationwide register-based open cohort study.Osteoporos Int. 2013; 24: 245-252
- Oral bisphosphonates are associated with reduced mortality in frail older people: A prospective five-year study.Osteoporos Int. 2011; 22: 2551-2556
- Hip fracture causes excess mortality owing to cardiovascular and infectious disease in institutionalized older people: A prospective 5-year study.J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 866-872
- Alendronate and atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1895-1896
- Association of alendronate and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with hip fracture.J Bone Miner Res. 2018; 33: 1422-1434
- Vascular action of bisphosphonates: In vitro effect of alendronate on the regulation of cellular events involved in vessel pathogenesis.J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2016; 100: 83-92
- Alendronate as an effective treatment for bone loss and vascular calcification in kidney transplant recipients.J Transplant. 2014; 2014: 269613
- Bisphosphonate use and prevalence of valvular and vascular calcification in women MESA (The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 1752-1759
- Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: The Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S).Lancet. 1994; 344: 1383-1389
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20,536 high-risk individuals: A randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 7-22
- Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia. West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1995; 33: 1301-1307
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with pravastatin in Japan (MEGA Study): A prospective randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2006; 368: 1155-1163
- Comparative benefits of statins in the primary and secondary prevention of major coronary events and all-cause mortality: A network meta-analysis of placebo-controlled and active-comparator trials.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2013; 20: 641-657
- The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with statin therapy in people at low risk of vascular disease: Meta-analysis of individual data from 27 randomised trials.Lancet. 2012; 380: 581-590
- Effects of intravenous zoledronate and ibandronate on carotid intima-media thickness, lipids and FGF-23 in postmenopausal osteoporotic women.Bone. 2014; 61: 27-32
- The effect of alendronate sodium on carotid artery intima-media thickness and lipid profile in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis.Menopause. 2009; 16: 689-693
- Calcification in atherosclerosis.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2009; 6: 681-688
- A comparison of the Framingham risk index, coronary artery calcification, and culprit plaque morphology in sudden cardiac death.Circulation. 2000; 101: 1243-1248
- Healthy user and related biases in observational studies of preventive interventions: A primer for physicians.J Gen Intern Med. 2011; 26: 546-550
- Confounding control in healthcare database research: Challenges and potential approaches.Med Care. 2010; 48: S114-S1120
- Influence of socioeconomic factors on the adherence of alendronate treatment in incident users in Norway.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 297-304
- The relationship between bisphosphonate adherence and fracture: Is it the behavior or the medication? Results from the placebo arm of the fracture intervention trial.J Bone Miner Res. 2011; 26: 683-688
- Mortality after all major types of osteoporotic fracture in men and women: An observational study.Lancet. 1999; 353: 878-882
- Immortal time bias in pharmaco-epidemiology.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 492-499
- Interpreting Epidemiologic Evidence: Connecting Research to Applications.2nd ed. Oxford University Press, 2016
Dr. Frank de Vries is the guarantor of this study, accepts full responsibility for the work and/or the conduct of the study, had access to the data, and controlled the decision to publish. He attests that all listed authors meet authorship criteria and that no others meeting the criteria have been omitted.
This study was reviewed and approved by the Independent Scientific Advisory Committee of the Clinical Practice Research Datalink (reference 18_115), which is responsible for reviewing protocols for scientific quality.
This research did not receive any funding from agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
All authors have completed the ICMJE uniform disclosure form (available on request from the corresponding author) at www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf and declare: SA, AMB, PG declare no support from any organization for the submitted work; no financial relationships with any organizations that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous 3 years; and no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work.
JvB reports grants and personal fees from Amgen, grants and personal fees from Eli Lilly, and personal fees from UCB, outside the submitted work.
TvS reports grants from GSK, personal fees from Pfizer, and personal fees from Roche, outside the submitted work.
FV supervises 2 PhD students who are employed with F. Hoffmann la Roche Ltd. (Basel, Switzerland/Welwyn Garden City, UK). He has not received any reimbursements for this, and the topic of these PhDs is not related to the current work.