Translation, adaptation, and validation of the German version of the SARC-F for community-dwelling older adults in Germany.
Setting and Participants
117 community-dwelling outpatients with a mean age of 79.1 ± 5.2 years were included in the study; 94 (80.4%) of them were female. Sixty-three (53.8%) had a positive SARC-F score of ≥4 points. According to the definition of sarcopenia from the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People (EWGSOP2), 8 patients (6.8%) were identified as sarcopenic and 57 (48.7%) as probable sarcopenic.
According to EWGSOP2, probable sarcopenia was defined for patients with reduced hand grip strength (women: <16.0 kg; men: <27.0 kg) and/or impaired chair-rise time (both genders: >15 seconds). Patients with additional low skeletal muscle index were classified as sarcopenic (women: <5.5 kg/m2; men: <7.0 kg/m2). Translation and cultural adaption was composed of 7 different steps that were in general based on the guidelines put forward by the World Health Organization. Validation include test-retest and the inter-rater reliability (intraclass correlation coefficient) as well as internal consistency (Cronbach alpha). Furthermore, sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, and negative predictive value of the SARC-F were calculated. Receiver-operating characteristic analysis was performed to calculate the area under the curve.
The translated and culturally adapted version of the SARC-F for the German language has shown excellent inter-rater reliability and good test-retest reliability. The internal consistency is acceptable. Sensitivity (63%) and specificity (47%) for sarcopenia is low. For detecting patients with probable sarcopenia, the SARC-F in the German version has shown 75% sensitivity and 67% specificity.
Conclusions and Implications
Because of a low sensitivity for detecting sarcopenia but an acceptable sensitivity for identifying probable sarcopenia, the German version of the SARC-F is a suitable tool for case finding of probable sarcopenia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Health outcomes of sarcopenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0169548
- Sarcopenia is associated with disability status-results from the KORA-Age study.Osteoporos Int. 2017; 28: 2069-2079
- Sarcopenia Guidelines Development group of the Belgian Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics (BSGG). Pharmacological interventions to improve muscle mass, muscle strength and physical performance in older people: An umbrella review of systematic reviews and meta-analyses.Drugs Aging. 2018; 35: 719-734
- Evidence-based recommendations for optimal dietary protein intake in older people: A position paper from the PROT-AGE Study Group.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 542-559
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423
- Sarcopenia: Revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- A simple questionnaire to rapidly diagnose sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 531-532
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the SARC-F to assess sarcopenia: Methodological report from European Union Geriatric Medicine Society Sarcopenia Special Interest Group.Eur Geriatr Med. 2018; 9: 23-28
- Substance abuse: Research Tools; translation.(Available at:)https://www.who.int/substance_abuse/research_tools/translation/en/Date accessed: August 21, 2019
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: Development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- EQ-SD: A measure of health status from the EuroQol Group.Ann Med. 2001; 33: 337-343
- Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment short-form (MNA®-SF): A practical tool for identification of nutritional status.J Nutr Health Aging. 2009; 13: 782-788
- A review of the measurement of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: Towards a standardised approach.Age Ageing. 2011; 40: 423-429
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: Association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico [erratum in Am J Epidemiol 1999;149:1161].Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 147: 755-763
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J Chiropr Med. 2016; 15: 155-163
- Scale Development: Theory and Applications.2nd ed. Sage, London1991
- How soon will digital endpoints become a cornerstone for future drug development?.Drug Discov Today. 2019; 24: 16-19
- A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases.Radiology. 1983; 148: 839-843
- Development of a practical screening tool to predict low muscle mass using NHANES 1999-2004.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2013; 4: 187-197
- An anthropometric prediction equation for appendicular skeletal muscle mass in combination with a measure of muscle function to screen for sarcopenia in primary and aged care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 25-30
- Development of a simple screening test for sarcopenia in older adults.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014; 14: 93-101
- Comparison of the performance of five screening methods for sarcopenia.Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 10: 71-82
- Translation and validation of the Spanish version of the SARC-F questionnaire to assess sarcopenia in older people.J Nutr Health Aging. 2019; 23: 518-524
- French translation and validation of the sarcopenia screening tool SARC-F.Eur Geriatr Med. 2018; 9: 29-37
- Performance of SARC-F in regard to sarcopenia definitions, muscle mass and functional measures.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 898-903
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Spanish-language version of the SARC-F to assess sarcopenia in Mexican community-dwelling older adults.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 1142-1146
- Development of a Japanese version of the SARC-F for diabetic patients: An examination of reliability and validity.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2017; 29: 935-942
- Enhancing SARC-F: Improving Sarcopenia screening in the clinical practice.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 1136-1141
- Validation of the Korean version of the SARC-F Questionnaire to assess sarcopenia: Korean Frailty and Aging Cohort Study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 40-45.e1
- SARC-F for screening of sarcopenia among older adults: A meta-analysis of screening test accuracy.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 685-689
Published online: January 21, 2020
M.D. and U.F. contributed equally to the study.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2019 AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.