Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- The global prevalence of dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Alzheimers Dement J Alzheimers Assoc. 2013; 9: 63-75.e2
- The worldwide economic impact of dementia 2010.Alzheimers Dement J Alzheimers Assoc. 2013; 9: 1-11.e3
- The clinical course of advanced dementia.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1529-1538
- Dying with advanced dementia in the nursing home.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 321-326
- Nursing home residents dying with dementia in Flanders, Belgium: A nationwide postmortem study on clinical characteristics and quality of dying.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 485-492
- Dying dementia patients: Too much suffering, too little palliation.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2005; 22: 344-348
- Symptoms and treatment when death is expected in dementia patients in long-term care facilities.BMC Geriatr. 2014; 14: 99
- Illness trajectories and palliative care.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1007-1011
- A critical literature review exploring the challenges of delivering effective palliative care to older people with dementia.J Clin Nurs. 2008; 17: 1144-1163
- Developing indicators of appropriate and inappropriate end-of-life care in people with Alzheimer's disease, cancer or COPD for population-level administrative databases: A RAND/UCLA appropriateness study.Palliat Med. 2017; 31: 932-945
- Decisions to hospitalize nursing home residents dying with advanced dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1396-1401
- Quality of primary palliative care for older people with mild and severe dementia: An international mortality follow-back study using quality indicators.Age Ageing. 2018; 47: 824-833
- Variations in the use of medical and surgical services by the Medicare population.N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 285-290
- Physician ratings of appropriate indications for six medical and surgical procedures.Am J Public Health. 1986; 76: 766-772
- Evaluating claims-based indicators of the intensity of end-of-life cancer care.Int J Qual Health Care. 2005; 17: 505-509
- For a Healthy Belgium - For a Healthy Belgium.(Available at:)https://www.healthybelgium.be/en/Date: 2019Date accessed: October 25, 2019
- End of life - For a Healthy Belgium.(Available at:)https://www.healthybelgium.be/en/health-system-performance-assessment/specific-domains/end-of-lifeDate: 2019Date accessed: October 9, 2019
- Using linked administrative and disease-specific databases to study end-of-life care on a population level.BMC Palliat Care. 2016; 15: 86
The RAND/UCLA appropriateness method user's manual - MR1269.pdf. 2016. Available at: https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/2011/MR1269.pdf. Accessed January 24, 2020.
20160830_Tussentijds rapport zorgregio's.pdf. 2017. Available at: https://www.zorg-en-gezondheid.be/sites/default/files/atoms/files/20160830_Tussentijds%20rapport%20zorgregio%27s.pdf. Accessed January 24, 2020.
- The Association of Community-Based Palliative Care with reduced emergency department visits in the last year of life varies by patient factors.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 416-425
- Development and use of reporting guidelines for assessing the quality of validation studies of health administrative data.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 821-829
Validation of diagnostic codes within medical services claims. 2017. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0895435603002464. Accessed January 24, 2020.
- Administrative and claims records as sources of health care cost data.Med Care. 2009; 47: S51-S55
- Causes of death according to death certificates in individuals with dementia: A cohort from the Swedish Dementia Registry.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016; 64: e137-e142
Vandormael S, Meirschaert A, Steyaert J, De Lepeleire J. Insights on dying, dementia and death certificates. Arch Public Health. 2018. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5846233/. Accessed January 24, 2020.
- Reporting of clinically diagnosed dementia on death certificates: Retrospective cohort study.Age Ageing. 2016; 45: 668-673
- Hospital and ED use among Medicare beneficiaries with dementia varies by setting and proximity to death.Health Aff Proj Hope. 2014; 33: 683-690
- Predictors of emergency department attendance by people with dementia in their last year of life: Retrospective cohort study using linked clinical and administrative data.Alzheimers Dement. 2018; 14: 20-27
- Applying quality indicators for administrative databases to evaluate end-of-life care for cancer patients in Belgium.Health Aff Proj Hope. 2017; 36: 1234-1243
- Hospice care for patients with dementia.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007; 34: 7-16
- Palliative care for advanced dementia: Knowledge and attitudes of long-term care staff.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: 848-858
Todd A, Husband A, Andrew I, et al. Inappropriate prescribing of preventative medication in patients with life-limiting illness: A systematic review. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2016. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26733578. Accessed January 24, 2020.
- Discontinuation of medications at the end of life: A population study in Belgium, based on linked administrative databases.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2019; 85: 827-837
- Polypharmacy in a Belgian cohort of community-dwelling oldest old (80+).Acta Clin Belg. 2016; 71: 158-166
- Polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medication in people with dementia: A nationwide study.J Alzheimers Dis JAD. 2018; 63: 383-394
Palliative Care Outcomes Collaboration. 2018. Available at: http://www.pcoc.org.au/. Accessed January 24, 2020.
About IKNL. 2018. Available at: https://www.iknl.nl/over-iknl/about-iknl. Accessed January 24, 2020.
- The effectiveness of advance care planning in improving end-of-life outcomes for people with dementia and their carers: A systematic review and critical discussion.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018; 55: 132-150.e1
This study is part of a research study funded by the FWO, Research Foundation Flanders (grant G012414N). The FWO had no involvement in the study design, writing of the manuscript, or decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare. All individuals who merit authorship are included as authors.