Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Medicare nursing home resident hospitalization rates merit additional monitoring.(2013. Available at:)http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-11-00040.pdfDate: 2013Date accessed: August 23, 2018
- The costs and potential savings associated with nursing home hospitalizations.Health Affairs (Millwood). 2007; 26: 1753-1761
- Potentially avoidable hospitalizations of nursing home residents: Frequency, causes, and costs: [see editorial comments by Drs. Jean F. Wyman and William R. Hazzard, pp 760-761].J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 627-635
- Potentially avoidable hospitalizations for elderly long-stay residents in nursing homes.Med Care. 2013; 51: 673-681
- Potentially avoidable hospitalizations of dually eligible Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries from nursing facility and home- and community-based services waiver programs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 821-829
- Appropriateness of the decision to transfer nursing facility residents to the hospital.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 154-163
- Hazards of hospitalization of the elderly.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 219-223
- Inappropriate hospitalization of nursing facility residents: A symptom of a sick system of care for frail older people.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 230-231
- Functional outcomes of acute medical illness and hospitalization in older persons.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 156: 645-652
- Nursing home resident symptomatology triggering transfer: Avoiding unnecessary hospitalizations.Nurs Res Pract. 2012; 2012: 495103
- Validity of the nursing diagnosis of relocation stress syndrome.Nurs Res. 2000; 49: 97-100
- Report to the Congress: Medicare Payment Policy; Chapter 3 Hospital inpatient and outpatient services.MedPAC, Washington, DC2018
- Nursing facilities can reduce avoidable hospitalizations without increasing mortality risk for residents.Health Affairs (Project Hope). 2018; 37: 1640-1646
- Evaluation of the Initiative to Reduce Avoidable Hospitalizations Among Nursing Facility Residents: Final Report (Prepared for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services).RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC2017 (2017. Available at:)Accessed February 21, 2020)
- Initiative to reduce avoidable hospitalizations among nursing facility residents shows promising results.Health Affairs (Millwood). 2017; 36: 441-450
- Successfully reducing hospitalizations of nursing home residents: Results of the Missouri Quality Initiative.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 960-966
- Cost Drivers for Dually Eligible Beneficiaries: Potentially Avoidable Hospitalizations from Nursing Facility, Skilled Nursing Facility, and Home and Community Based Services Waiver Programs.RTI International, Waltham (MA)2010
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 15.StataCorp LLC, College Station, TX2017
- Trends in emergency department visits for ambulatory care sensitive conditions by elderly nursing home residents, 2001 to 2010.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 156-158
This research was funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Contract No. HHSM500-2010-00021I. Ms Vreeland was employed by RTI International as of the writing of this manuscript and subsequently moved to the Congressional Budget Office. The statements contained in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of CMS, RTI International, or the Congressional Budget Office.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.