Setting and participants
Conclusions and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Assisted Living Quality Initiative: Building a Structure That Promotes Quality.Assisted Living Coalition, Washington, DC1998
- A national survey of assisted living facilities.Gerontologist. 2003; 43: 875-882
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States: Data from the National Study of Long-Term Care Providers, 2013-2014.Vital Health Stat. 2016; 38 (x–xii)
- Prospects for transferring nursing home residents to the community.Health Aff (Millwood). 2007; 26: 1762-1771
- Predictors of low-care prevalence in Florida nursing homes: The role of Medicaid waiver programs.Gerontologist. 2011; 51: 495-503
- The relationship between Older Americans Act Title III state expenditures and prevalence of low-care nursing home residents.Health Serv Res. 2013; 48: 1215-1226
- The relationship between Older Americans Act in-home services and low-care residents in nursing homes.J Aging Health. 2014; 26: 250-260
- Assisted living expansion and the market for nursing home care.Health Serv Res. 2012; 47: 2296-2315
- Increasing prevalence of assisted living as a substitute for private-pay long-term nursing care.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 4906-4920
- The role of assisted living capacity on nursing home financial performance.Inquiry. 2018; 55 (46958018793285)
- Market structure, competition from assisted living facilities, and quality in the nursing home industry.Appl Econ Perspect Policy. 2012; 34: 238-257
- Medicaid Assisted Living Services: Improved Federal Oversight of Beneficiary Health and Welfare is Needed. (Publication No. GAO-180-179).(Available at:)https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-18-179(Accessed February 6, 2020)Date: 2018
- Sizing up the market for assisted living.Health Aff. 2010; 29: 35-43
- A methodology to identify a cohort of Medicare beneficiaries residing in large assisted living facilities using administrative data.Med Care. 2018; 56: e10-e15
- State Medicaid Reimbursement Policies and Practices in Assisted Living.National Center for Assisted Living American Health Care Association, 2019 (Available at:)Accessed February 6, 2020)
- Medicaid expenditures for long-term services and supports in FY 2016.IBM Watson Health, 2018 (Available at:)Accessed February 6, 2020)
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States, 2015–2016. National Center for Health Statistics.Vital Health Stat 3. 2019; 43: 21
- Trends in postacute care and staffing in US nursing homes, 2001–2010.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 817-820
- Does publicly provided home care substitute for family care? Experimental evidence with endogenous living arrangements.J Hum Resources. 1996; 31: 650-676
- Effect of nursing home ownership on the quality of post-acute care: An instrumental variables approach.J Health Econ. 2013; 32: 12-21
- The residential history file: Studying nursing home residents' long-term care histories.Health Serv Res. 2011; 46: 120-137
Data sources for base map figures:
- FL_Counties [basemap]. 1:7,500,000. Florida county boundaries.(Available at:)https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e1a7a11a570a49649a0c8770751667b6Date: 2012Date accessed: February 20, 2019
- County boundaries [basemap]. 1:12,000,000. Montana Administrative Boundaries Web Mercator Service.(Available at:)https://gisservicemt.gov/arcgis/rest/services/MSDI_Framework/BoundariesWebMerc/MapServerDate accessed: February 20, 2019
This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health (Grant R21 AG047303 to KST), the National Institute on Aging (1 R21 AG059120 01 to KST), and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Service (CDA 14-422 to KST).
The authors declare no conflicts of interest. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Insitutes of Health, or the United States government.