Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- 2019 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures Report.(Available at:)https://www.alz.org/documents/alzheimers-facts-and-figures-2019-rDate accessed: January 4, 2020
- Efficacy and feasibility of nonpharmacological interventions for neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia in long term care: A systematic review.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 503-506
- Improving dementia care and reducing unnecessary use of antipsychotic medications in nursing homes.Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, ed Medicare Learning Network, Baltimore2013
- Time for change: The role of nonpharmacological interventions in treating behavior problems in nursing home residents with dementia.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2005; 19: 37-40
- Non-pharmacological interventions for agitation in dementia: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials.Br J Psychiatry. 2014; 205: 436-442
- Efficacy of musical interventions in dementia: Methodological requirements of nonpharmacological trials.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2015; 1337: 249-255
- Comparing the effects of multisensory stimulation and individualized music sessions on elderly people with severe dementia: A randomized controlled trial.J Alzheimers Dis. 2016; 52: 303-315
- Receptive music therapy is more effective than interactive music therapy to relieve behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 568-576.e3
- Wisconsin Music & Memory Implementation Survey Results.(Available at:)https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/music-memory/implementation-survey-phase-i-ii.pdfDate: 2015Date accessed: January 4, 2020
- Wisconsin department of health services final report on the evaluation of the music and memory program among nursing home residents with dementia (2016).(Available at:)https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p01594.pdfDate accessed: January 4, 2020
- Individualized music program is associated with improved outcomes for US nursing home residents with dementia.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017; 25: 931‒938
- Survey for this study was generated using Qualtrics software, Version [April 2016] of the Qualtrics Research Suite. Copyright © Qualtrics. Qualtrics and all other Qualtrics product or service names are registered trademarks or trademarks of Qualtrics, Provo, UT, USA.(Available at:)http://www.qualtrics.comDate accessed: January 1, 2020
- Five-Star Quality Rating System.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Baltimore (MD)2019 (Available at:)http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/CertificationandComplianc/FSQRS.htmlDate accessed: January 1, 2020
- MDS 3.0: Brief interview for mental status.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 611-617
- The minimum data set 3.0 cognitive function scale.Med Care. 2017; 55: e68
- Differentiating levels of cognitive functioning: A comparison of the Brief Interview for Mental Status (BIMS) and the Brief Cognitive Assessment Tool (BCAT) in a nursing home sample.Aging Ment Health. 2014; 18: 921-928
- The aggressive behavior scale: A new scale to measure aggression based on the minimum data set.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 2298-2303
- Testing the PHQ-9 interview and observational versions (PHQ-9 OV) for MDS 3.0.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 618-625
- The World Health Organization Quality of Life assessment (WHOQOL): Position paper from the World Health Organization.Social science & medicine. 1995; 41: 1403-1409
SAS Institute Inc. SAS 9.4 Help and Documentation, Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc., 2002-2004.
- Project: California partnership to improve dementia care and reduce the use of antipsychotics Final Narrative Report.(Available at:)https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/LCP/CDPH%20Document%20Library/Antipsychotic-project-FINAL.pdfDate accessed: January 4, 2020
- Antipsychotic medication use data report (April 2019) CMS, 2019.(Available at:)https://www.nhqualitycampaign.org/files/Late_Adopter_Report.pdfDate accessed: January 2, 2020
- Findings from a prospective randomized controlled trial of an individualized music listening program for persons with dementia.J Appl Gerontol. 2018; (0733464818778991)
- Antidepressant use and risk of adverse outcomes in older people: Population based cohort study.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4551
- American Geriatrics Society 2019 updated AGS Beers Criteria® for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 674-694
- Antipsychotic deprescription for older adults in long-term care: The HALT study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 592-600
This work was supported by Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services Civil Money Penalty funds, administered by the California Department of Public Health (Contract #15-10334). The California Association of Health Facilities was the Sponsor for this project.
This project was also supported by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, National Institutes of Health through grant # UL1 TR001860.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.