Setting and Participants
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Controversies in long-term care: The controversy inherent in managing frail nursing home residents during complex hurricane emergencies.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 599-604
- Mortality in nursing homes following emergency evacuation: A systematic review.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 664-670
- To evacuate or shelter in place: Implications of universal hurricane evacuation policies on nursing home residents.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 190.e1-190.e7
- Providing shelter to nursing home evacuees in disasters: Lessons from Hurricane Katrina.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 1288-1293
- Nursing home emergency preparedness and response during recent hurricanes: OEI-06e06e00020.(Washington, DC)2006 (Report No: OEI-06e06e00020)
- Effect of forced transitions on the most functionally impaired nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1895-1900
- The effects of evacuation on nursing home residents with dementia.Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2012; 27: 406-412
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities: Planning and decision making for sheltering in place or evacuation.Generations. 2007; 31: 29-33
- Caring for vulnerable elders during a disaster: National findings of the 2007 nursing home hurricane summitt.(Available at:)https://www.ahcancal.org/facility_operations/disaster_planning/Documents/Hurricane_Summit_May2007.pdfDate: 2007Date accessed: March 15, 2019
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States, 2015–2016. Vol. 3.Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2019: 22-24
- Surviving the storms: Emergency preparedness in Texas nursing facilities and assisted living facilities.J Gerontol Nurs. 2008; 34: 9-16
- Experiences of assisted living faciltiy staff in evacuating and sheltering residents during hurricanes.Curr Psychol. 2015; 34: 506-514
- Sheltering in danger.(Available at:)https://asprtracie.hhs.gov/technical-resources/resource/6513/sheltering-in-dangerDate: 2018Date accessed: November 8, 2019
- Florida bracing for a direct hit from Irma. Philadelphia Inquirer.(Available at:)http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/florida-bracing-for-a-direct-hit-from-irma-20170908.htmlDate: 2017Date accessed: March 19, 2019
- As Hurricane Irma shifts west, Tampa Bay area still at risk. Tampa Bay Times.(Available at:)https://www.tampabay.com/news/weather/hurricanes/as-hurricane-irma-shifts-east-tampa-bay-area-still-at-risk/2336633Date: 2017Date accessed: April 10, 2019
- The effect of licensure type on the policies, practices, and resident composition of Florida assisted living facilities.Gerontologist. 2009; 49: 211-223
- National criteria for evacuation decision-making in nursing homes.(Available at:)https://www.in.gov/isdh/files/NationalCriteriaEvacuationDecisionMaking.pdfDate: 2008Date accessed: March 15, 2019
- Know your zone.(Available at:)https://www.floridadisaster.org/knowyourzone/Date accessed: April 10, 2019
- To evacuate or not to evacuate: Lessons learned from Louisiana nursing home administrators following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007; 8: 142-149
- Improving long-term care facility disaster preparedness and response: A literature review.Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2016; 11: 140-149
- Variation in Operating Characteristics of Residential Care Communities, by Size of Community: United States, 2014. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics data brief, no. 222. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db222.htmDate accessed: April 20, 2019
- Variation in Residential Care Community Resident Characteristics, by Size of Community: United States, 2014. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics data brief, no. 223. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db223.htmDate accessed: April 20, 2019
- Learning from Katrina: Preparing long-term care facilities for disasters.Geriatr Nurs. 2008; 29: 253-258
- With Hurricane Irma on track for Tampa Bay, here's what you can expect. Tampa Bay Times.(Available at:)https://www.tampabay.com/news/weather/hurricanes/with-hurricane-irma-on-track-for-tampa-bay-heres-what-you-can-expect/2336896Date: 2017Date accessed: May 1, 2019
- Dissecting the parts of a hurricane. The Washington Post.(Available at:)https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/09/10/dissecting-the-parts-of-a-hurricane/?utm_term=.95702fb20cd2Date: 2017Date accessed: May 10, 2019
This work was supported by the National Institute on Aging of the National Institutes of Health under award number R01AG060581-01.
The sponsors had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; and preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript.
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.